Do you get too emotionally evolved in BF advocacy?

iVillage Member
Do you get too emotionally evolved in BF advocacy?
Mon, 02-14-2011 - 2:56am

Do you ever feel sad, angry, disappointed, annoyed, etc. either at the mom or her doctors and other support people, in any of the following situations?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
A definite yes on the 5 bullets, particularly #2-#5. With regards to a mom choosing to FF from the start, I don't necessarily know if she might have a physical issue that makes it impossible to breastfeed, be on contraindicated meds, etc. so I try to keep a bit of an open mind.

#2-#5 sadden me, particularly when I work really really hard to get a mom good information and advice on how to turn things around and they ignore it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
ITA with Dana. #1 is much less of an issue to me than numbers 2 through 5, because I don't know what drove her choice. She may have done all the necessary research and still took the risks because she felt it was right, or she may have a legitimate problem preventing her from BF. So I actually don't feel especially emotional about #1. But when I've been trying to help someone who ostensibly wanted to BF, yes, it does bother me, and I do find myself having to step back and extricate myself emotionally from some of those situations.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Yes to all 5.

Unlike the previous posters, I made the assumption that "FF by choice" meant that it was totally a choice, not based upon a health condition or inability to breastfeed.

Personally, I find it very disturbing for women to do all the research, know that "breast milk is superior" (seeing as how there's no way they'd acknowledge that FF is inferior), and still choose to give their children formula. I just don't get it. I don't think they're terrible people or don't love their children, I just don't get it. Why would a mother knowingly

--Wendy
iVillage Member

I used to be bothered more so...

iVillage Member

<< Finding out a mom you know who is FF'ing by choice from the start.>>

I have to admit I find myself saddened somewhat when I find a mother I know is FF'ing by choice, though I don't run into this very often fortunately. Most FF'rs

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Finding out a mom you know who is FF'ing by choice from the start.
No, because its her choice and I respect it even if I disagree with it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
charleen2008 wrote:

<>

This really ticks me off as I hate having my time wasted in offering advice only to have it ignored. I also hate it when a mother who ignored my good advice then goes on to try and claim they tried to BF but couldn't. If the mother later admits they either made a mistake in ignoring my advice or simply never really wanted to succeed at BF'ing then can be more forgiving. I do wish though that those who never really wanted to BF in the first place could simply just admit it rather feigning an attempt to successfully BF as I can accept their right to switch to formula by choice regardless of whether I agree it's best without saying anything negative about it.

I understand why you would hate having your time wasted.

iVillage Member
Jessica, I definitely see where you're coming from. However, I think there's a huge difference between you (who went through huge efforts for a prolonged period of time and truly sought out good help and information) and someone for whom a reasonably simple fix would make a huge difference. Believe me, there are far more people in the second category than in the first and those are the people who are frustrating for breastfeeding helpers.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Photobucket

Pages