Time Management

iVillage Member
Time Management
Tue, 02-22-2011 - 11:59pm

Hello I am currently having trouble managing my time effectively and making the most out of my day. I chose to post here because I believe that managing my time effectively will help me to live a better life and help me feel better to.

Pages

Administrator
Fri, 02-25-2011 - 10:03am
Oh wow. I think you've touched on a problem that many of us have. Like you, I keep to-do lists and try to keep certain tasks within a decent time frame otherwise my whole day is frittered away and next thing I know it's bedtime and I'm scrambling.

I have found a calendar and a notebook to be my best friends when it comes to time management though.

Can't wait to see what others have to say.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-25-2011 - 11:55am
What helps me when there are a lot of things that I have to do and keep track of is the to-do list. I always try to keep it near me in some form, so that I can easily add reminders and tasks to it.

One of the first things I would do is have a look at my email and review as well as revise the to-do list depending on incoming email My to-do list is not only for me, but also for people who work with me whether a colleague, a client or a supplier.

Some people suggest that we tackle the most difficult tasks first thing. Others say that getting rid of the easiest ones first will help us get ready to work on the more complicated or time-consuming wise. I think that we each have to find what works for us. This is something that I review each morning. What I choose to work on, and which tasks I need to work on first will also depend on whatever else is happening that day. I work better in the late morning and afternoon until evening or night, so earlier in the morning I tend to pick easier tasks that I can get out of the way quickly without having to think too much, and save the ones that need more focus and time for later in the day. I always give myself an idea about the time I'll start something and what time I stop working on it.

That's smart to get a timer! They say that one should get up, stretch and walk around every hour for about 5 minutes. Maybe you can try that and see whether that helps you to be more efficient with your time. Often we're tired, but we don't give ourselves a break. Instead of getting things done, we slow down or lose focus.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-28-2011 - 9:15am

I'm another list maker and calendar keeper, but I'm still not good at managing my time. I was much better when I had a full-time job and an externally imposed schedule on my life...

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-28-2011 - 2:15pm
Another list maker and calendar keeper here too. I find if I don't have things written on my calendar, I completely forget about them.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 9:10pm

Lists & a timer are a GREAT idea! I'm also a list person, when I have a lot of things to get done, I write them down so I don't forget any! If you have a lot of things to get done during the day, I would spend a certain amount of time on each item and then, when the timer goes off, move on to the next task, even if you aren't done! You can always go back to it at the end of the day if you have extra time, or just finish it the next day! :)

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2011 - 12:35am

Hi Karla! Thank you for your reply.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2011 - 12:39am

Hi Kika!Thank you for your reply.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2011 - 12:41am

Hi Thatyank! Thank you for your reply.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2011 - 12:43am

Hi AmyD! Thank you for your reply.