Questions About Bullying? Ask The White House!

iVillage Member
Questions About Bullying? Ask The White House!
Mon, 03-07-2011 - 12:04pm

Hi Everyone,

1 in 5 kids is bullied ever year - 1 in 5! - and kids who are bullied are five times more likely to be depressed. What more can schools, parents and government leaders do to protect our kids and keep them safe? The White House will answer YOUR questions during a LIVE Q & A with iVillage as part of a special White House Conference on Bullying Prevention. Write your questions below and look for the answers LIVE on iVillage.com this Thursday from 1:15p - 1:45p ET., during our Q & A with Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health & Human Services.

Also, iVillage has a quick survey going about dealing with bullies. If you've ever had to deal with bullying, we'd love to hear from you. The survey is really quick (only takes about two minutes to complete) and we would love to hear your thoughts on the topic.

http://www.ivillage.com/take-our-bullying-survey/6​-a-327987?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-07-2011 - 6:39pm

What is politics teaching our children about how to treat one-another? It seems as though politics has moved from banter to bullying. As my children age, I want to make sure that they are learning to debate and disagree without using bullying tactics that seem to over-ride American politics. What can be done about this from a political perspective?

Thanks much.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2011 - 2:41pm

Should there be laws put into place against extreme bullying? Just as there are laws against sex or hate crimes, even murder...

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2011 - 3:12pm

I read that bullying can start even in pre-school! What are the most important steps I can take as a parent to make sure my toddler doesn't become a bully? Should empathy and tolerance be something we ask schools to add to the curriculum (as early as pre-school)?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2011 - 6:46pm

How advisable is it for a teacher and student to engage in social networking? What are the dangers and pitfalls? What are the positives and what would you recommend to a superintendent if he/she were considering it for a district?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2011 - 9:40pm

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-09-2011 - 10:57am

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-09-2011 - 3:46pm

How do you advise your child to confront a bully without a physical confrontation after repeated harassment? And what if your child is hit first?

iVillage Member

Hi!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-09-2011 - 4:03pm

I talk to my children about bullies at home but are their any type of programs being used in the school system to address the subject to both the children be Bullied and the children doing this at the same time?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-09-2011 - 4:21pm

It is great to see all the dialogue regarding bullying in schools. While there should be a large amount of care and concern for children being bullied, I also think that there needs to be a lot of care and concern for the children who are doing the bullying. Placing more emphasis on children who bully other children would allow us to uncover the reasons WHY these chidlren are being bullies. Understanding the root of the problem can help us to prevent other children from becoming buliies. I would like to know how the White House could implement a strategy to decrease the emergence of bullies in our society.

Pages