Feingold Diet

iVillage Member
Feingold Diet
Thu, 05-05-2011 - 6:10pm

Hi All,

Do any of you have experience with this? My DS hasn't been diagnosed w/ ADHD but he has had trouble staying focused in school and at home on and off all school year.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-05-2011 - 11:45pm

Is he using meds? It could be a dosage/med issue also.

We have been using the Feingold diet for several years with great results. Not only has it helped DD, but we all felt better within a few weeks. It IS expensive to start, and the whole family has to be on it, but I do recommend it. The diet does not allow for any of the foods you mentioned, ever.

There are other alternatives, Cut out ALL processed foods, artificial dyes, flavors( Yes the pop tarts and cocoa puffs), fast foods, etc. I can count on 2 fingers the number of times DD has had a McNugget, and the few times she had them we could tell within minutes.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-06-2011 - 3:53pm
Welcome to the board, Tracy! Good luck with switching over to the Feingold diet, it does sound like it will be an easy transition for you.

How do you think you'll handle situations when they aren't eating at home, such as at parties?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-06-2011 - 7:13pm

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-06-2011 - 7:27pm
I recommended this to a friend whose son has ADHD and Aspberger's. It made a huge difference for them over the month long winter break...but when he went back to kinder the teacher let him choose what to eat instead of him eating what the mom sent in. Mom wrote a letter, but it made no difference, he still had the outbursts after every birthday party or holiday. She ended up homeschooling (due to the school not following her directions among other things) and now the boy (11) would rather have Feingold than the junk his grandmother tries to feed him when they visit. (He tells her to get "real" food - he doesn't like how the cinnamon buns and icecream make him feel!)
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 8:27pm

Yeah - my son was on meds -