Circumcision Ban in San Francisco Considered

iVillage Member
Circumcision Ban in San Francisco Considered
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 9:24pm

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wow that is really interesting. I don't know how I feel about circumcision. I'm pretty on the fence about it. My dh is dead set on it if we have a boy.

I'm hoping for another girl so it will be a non issue. lol
iVillage Member
I'm sure any Jews in san fran would appreciate that......prejudice much...
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member

I am for it being illegal EVERYWHERE, UNLESS medically necessary, I had DS #1 done (and I regret it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY, I even still cry about it and he is 8, I wish I didn't have the choice to make the wrong one. My poor little boy looks so mangled and is forever changed in that area and will never have the benefits that the foreskin was put there for, I whole heartedly regret my decision with him) because I was young and stupid and listened to everyone tell me how dirty it is and how he would get stds and blah blah effing blah (sorry but even if your son is cut and puts his penis in a hole that is infected with some STD it will not prevent him from getting it because he doesn't have foreskin, pretty silly right... and as for it being dirty, that is something you just teach them, you're going to teach them how to clean a penis that has been circumcised, right? If not, you have no business having children.). DS

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Pp said it best- prejudice much? Its a personal decision and this whole country is built on free choice.
iVillage Member
I encourage you to do plenty of research on it. It is a personal choice. My son (actually my step son, full time step son is intact. he is now 10) He was not circumsized when he was born b/c he was very small so they were actually supposed to have taken him a few months later, they did not. When he was 2 my now DH wanted to have it done and was contact a doctor about it. I was so against it, I fought him, I threw away the mail. I didn't know why I was against it but I was. Thankfully he listened and didn't go through with it. years later I learned about it and I was so glad I had fought so hard for my now 10 year old to stay intact.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I don't agree with a "ban" on it being done, as I'm against the total take-over of our personal, every day lives by the government. But, I am against the practice itself. We did not have our DS circumcised. My DH did want him done when we found out he was a boy, but I did some research (I initially was going to leave the decision to my DH), and found that all of the "reasons" to have it done (cleaner, fewer STDs, etc.) are just not true. When we had a meeting with the doc that we chose as our pedi, we asked her about them, and she basically told us that generally the worst that happens in a newborn that is not cir'd is a UTI. Luckily, that didn't happen with our DS (may or may not have something to do with the fact that EVERY diaper change I use wipes to clean him, even if it is just pee). Oh, and while doing my research, I came across lots of posts, etc., from Jewish parents that are declining to have their sons cir'd and leaving that decision for when the boy is old enough to choose for himself. I find this very "forward thinking", especially since it is part of the Jewish faith to have it done.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Nathan, who is 5, has NEVER had any problems either. He did get lots of UTIs but that was due to a kidney problem that was corrected @18 months via surgery. I wish more mothers would do the research before they have their son and have them done and then learn later :( like I did with my first. Any how good for you for not leaving the decision up to DH and researching!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
It's a personal decision for sure. I don't look down on anyone no matter what their parenting style, it's their choice. For me though I chose to circ my DS for a few reasons and I dint regret it at all, if this child is a bit I have already signed the paperwork to have it done. I had it dome in the hospital and had no complications and he doesn't remember it obviously.
~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member

My husband is 33 and has never had a UTI in his life, neither has my brother.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Yup should be illegal,nothing like taking away someones right to practice their religion or a parents right to make a choice. It should also be illegal to pierce a baby girls ears.
~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH

Pages