If breast milk is not "real food" compared to solid foods then what is it?

iVillage Member
If breast milk is not "real food" compared to solid foods then what is it?
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 2:17pm

Why do some people insist on calling solid food "real food" when talking about introducing solid foods into a exclusively BF'd babies diet? I hear or read every so often another mother saying she is starting her baby on "real" food, having been exclusively BF'ing them until then and I wonder what that makes BM in her mind? Does she really think BM is fake or imaginary food and if so how do babies live exclusively off for the first 6 months (or more)?. Exactly what does "real" food mean to these moms? I think maybe it's possible they are using the term "real food" as a synonym for

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Interesting question! I never really thought about that ... I think I refer to "starting solids," or "table food."

But, I think when people say "real food" they don't really mean that breastmilk isn't food, it's just sort of shorthand. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Powered by
iVillage Member
gespenst wrote:
But, I think when people say "real food" they don't really mean that breastmilk isn't food, it's just sort of shorthand. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Maybe they mean it as shorthand for "food that an older child or adult could eat and survive on" or something like that. But

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I agree that using the term "real food" can be construed as having negative connotations about breastmilk.

I disagree that this is the intent of the majority of people using the term, but I certainly would be interested in knowing that answer.