OB-GYN's refuse to treat women over 200 pounds.

Community Leader
OB-GYN's refuse to treat women over 200 pounds.
Tue, 05-24-2011 - 3:10pm
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member

Are they going to refuse to treat them too if they suffer from anorexia nervosa?

iVillage Member

Oh, how stupid. I know doctors can accept or deny service to anyone not in an ER situation, but heavy women are in need of good services, too.

There's a doctor in Chicago that only treats 'healthy' people. She won't take you if you're overweight, smoke, don't exercise and I can't remember what all else. With all that, she's not lacking for patients. I guess her clients feel far superior to everyone else, as does the doctor.

Jan

Community Leader

I am not surprised. My family doctor retired last summer and we had to find a new one. We used the physician finder of our insurance company and doctor after doctor I talked to asked several questions before deciding if we could get seen and those questions for everyone in the family were: Do you have any major health issues, do you smoke, and are you overweight? The doctor we decided on had us all come in at different times for a consult (which I called an interview) and only after our "consult" were we allowed to make appointments.

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

Community Leader

I just think this is another example of how we need someone to step in and 'do' something with our healthcare in this country.

Photobucket
Community Leader

If you only treat well patients, wouldn't your practice be much easier?

Photobucket
Community Leader

Geez Karla!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Yes, well you know my daughter has a pre-existing condition and I had to do extensive explaining. They decided to accept her. I have to tell you the whole experience was shocking that docs had wanted to know all about us BEFORE deciding if they would see us.

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

Community Leader

I'm glad you could 'talk fast enough....'

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Ive been so blessed that I haven't had to deal with this issue.

Community Leader

I disagree.

Gail

Pages