Just found out I have herpes. Need some advice please! I'm feeling very stressed...

iVillage Member
Just found out I have herpes. Need some advice please! I'm feeling very stressed...
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 11:07pm

Hello...

iVillage Member

Hi Kitty_Kat, and welcome to the board.

Not only is it possible to carry the herpes virus without having an outbreak, it probably isn't that uncommon this occurs. It is also very likely that it was your former partner who infected you, if he had cold sores and gave you oral sex mere days before having a sore on his mouth. Herpes is contagious before outbreaks as well as during, and that is part of the reason that it is spread so frequently.

I'm really not sure about the cramping you described, or what it could have been caused by. If you were put on anti-biotics for another infection, then it sounds as though you've been dealing with a variety of gynecological symptoms. Did you describe that to your doctor?

Rest assured, it is entirely normal that you have never had an obvious outbreak of herpes, and have not shown the usual symptoms. The information at the following link will tell

iVillage Member

Hi

iVillage Member

Thanks for that information.

iVillage Member

I think you should get retested as well.

Since you now know more about how it can be transmitted, let your ex-boyfriend, who gets cold sores, know that he needs to be extremely carefully when he is giving oral sex, or even kissing someone, for that matter.

Best of luck, and please let us know how you are doing, and how that conversation with your boyfriend turns out.

iVillage Member

It is hard to believe you can have an STD and not have one symptom to alert you but it's the truth.