Octomom's Fertility Doc has License Revoked

iVillage Member
Octomom's Fertility Doc has License Revoked
Wed, 06-01-2011 - 9:42pm

Anyone hear about this? What are your thoughts?

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/octomoms-fertility-doctor-has-license-revoked--3092

I didn't know this doctor was also under fire for how he handled two other patients, too. To me, his excuses for how he handled things (or didn't handle them) are very weak and pathetic.

I personally am glad he's had his license revoked. I feel that as a fertility doctor, he has an ethical responsibility to protect the health and safety of his patients. Transferring as many as 12 embryos during an IVF procedure is incredibly ridiculous and in doing so, he made a mockery of fertility clinics. My RE is super responsible and tries very hard to keep multiple birth rates low (and aim for nothing more than twins if they can help it) because it poses a health risk to both mother and babies, and I fully support that.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
short and sweet....about freakin' time :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
LOL...love it!

Jamie
iVillage Member
I am so happy to hear his license was revoked! Most of us have no insurance covereage for fertility treatments and cases like this just give insurance companies more ammunition to keep it that way. He was completely neglagent in his care and my only regret is that it took this long to get his license revoked!

Caryn
iVillage Member

It is encouraging to see that the court system came up with the logical result. Progress and technology seem to clash frequently with medical ethics. We should stop many more so called doctors! Like the plastic surgeons who render people into freaks, see "Cat Woman" Jocelyne Wildenstein. And all obstetricians who recommend and push planned c-sections to fit child birth into their neat 9-5 schedule. I was a patient of Michael Kamrava's brother Sid. I left his gynecology practice when he started to push and pressure me into cosmetic procedures (he was a ob/gyn, not a board certified plastic surgeon) he was offering during my routine ob/gyn visits! I knew the difference! My father was an ethical doctor. These guys are all about maximizing profit!

iVillage Member
Having undergone IVF myself, I was appalled when the story came out that a doctor would implant so many embryos (and I didn't realize at the time that he transferred 12!)! My docs would only transfer two for someone my age -- 37 at the time. They said that their goal is to get a patient pregnant with ONE child because that is safest for Mom and baby. From the story, it sounds like he really needed his license revoked! Not telling someone about possible cancer!! I just can not imagine my REs doing something like that. Some people are in this profession because they truly want to help build families, but others are only in it for the money. I think it is obvious that this man had no concern for the health of his patients!
iVillage Member
12 embryos!!! Seriously??? his excuse for implanting so many embryos is if too many became viable he would use selective reduction? Not a very good argument, thats horrible! Glad to hear he is no longer able to practice.

Amanda

Me - (Amanda 27) My dh-- 26 We have been ttc # 1 for 3yrs 5mths My dh has severe oligospermia, Ivf with icsi is our only option. Ivf # 1--- failed Ivf # 2--- failed Ivf # 3-- hopefully in March 2013 at a new clinic!