Laid off and looking at options

iVillage Member
Laid off and looking at options
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 4:03pm

Hi everyone :)

Long story short, I have 4 children, aged 20 months to 16 years old, and was laid off from a pretty well paying job in project management at a company I was with for 10 years. Didn't finish my degree and really have no other working experience. I am now at a year of unemployment with very little luck in job hunting. Most positions are being filled by people with similar experience, but they have the higher education component. At this point, I have lost my childcare and need to find something nights and weekends. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or knows of industries that typically employ evenings and weekends? How have you made it work if you are in a similar situation?

I am realizing that I will not match the pay I was receiving and likely will not even get close to what I am getting with unemployment, so out of the home childcare is simply not affordable. I am very open to out of the box ideas, but just feel stuck in a rut and all the NOs have beaten my confidence down a bit.

Thank you so much for any help you can give, it is appreciated more than you know. I am getting scared at this point and really need some guidance.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 12:32pm
Hi Sam, welcome to the board. I'm so sorry that you still find yourself unemployed :( The only thing I can think of would be something in a service industry. It might not be the job you want right now but could give you some time to seek out something like you had before. Do you know anyone at your previous company that might have some contacts with other companies?

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 12:50pm

In college my weekend/evening job was doing behavioral therapy (ABA, stands for applied behavioral analysis) for children with autism. I was trained for free, worked for various families, and I loved it. I also had a job working at a group home for developmentally disabled adults at one point. My experience is really only with the helping professions, sorry I am not much help beyond that!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 8:13pm
U could always check out David Oreck Candle Company. Its the newest hottest things in candles. Its free to start. Its a wonderful new company. I get to set my own hours I want to work and make great money doing it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 9:12am

there is always customer service or call centers. I work in education debt management. Orginally I was a paralegal, still am in about 65% of my job but the rest is phone support for the call center. Its not what I ideally pictured myself doing but it pays the bills. I have a 9-5 schedule but in the positions that are 100% call center they have different shifts. Our last shift ends at 10pm but I suspect that changes soon. We used to only be open to 8pm then as business needs changed and we had more out of state clients we extended hours and business is changing again so will see. We also have weekend shifts. My DH used to work for roadside assistance and that HAD to be 24 hour. I know banks used to do most of the processing in the overnight but thats an industry that is really cutting back.

Other fields would be medical or tech but I know those require specific degrees

Photobucket