Q.O.T.W. Inside

iVillage Member
Q.O.T.W. Inside
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 5:13am
Tis spring, and with gardening beginning, what in your pantry could be used as seed for planting, allowing to dry, and packed again for use over the coming seasons?

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

I have white beans, kidney beans, and black eyed peas. Also there is fennel seed, caraway seed, and cellery seed. I'de like to attempt this year also with some anise seed as well. Even if it doesn't come full circle, the aroma of the plants would be heavenly from both the fennel and anise seeds. The seed plants can also be chopped as they grow for adding flavors to foods and cakes. The beans can be picked while green and cooked fresh too. I just love being able to use some of the left overs from opened bags and containers to see just how much I can grow fresh right off the pantry shelves.

Mitch

Edited 3/31/2003 6:16:00 AM ET by cl-disvet112

Community Leader
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 6:28am
Hi Mitch! Sorry I have not been lurking for a week, too much going on and they have not made the day longer yet to accommodate my particular needs (I have been asking for a 28 hour day for the past 35 years, no one listens! Silly sleepy-heads!).

Hop over and visit me at recipe swap board to see what I did with seed potatoes!

I know, sick puppies belong on pets board, right? take care--k-roni

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 6:31am
My mother's favorite past time....three toothpicks stuck into the narrowed end of the seed to hold it off the bottom, and somewhat level, placed into a wide mouth quart jar, filled half way up the seed, and set on the windowsill....after good rooting has started, she would take them out, and plant them into potting soil in a 2 to 3 sized pot. That gave the roots plenty of room to spread, and the plant some growing room. For some reason though, once winter set in, and it was time for someone to bring in that (now small tree) No one did, so she would just start again...LOL..we had a new avocado tree every year...LOL

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 6:26am
Take a paper towel, wet it thoroughly, place it on your counter, put a dozen seeds onto one half of it, fold over, and place into a baggie, and into a darkened area. Wait for 7 days, take it out, and see how many seeds have begun their sproutings. Most every seed spice will begin to sprout.

I realize that everyone looks for seeds in the stores marked for the year they wish to plant them, but I've had some that I havn't gotten around to for years, kept them dry, and in their original packages, and planted them as many as three years later with much success. Shucks, nothing like the smell of anise growing to awaken the senses outside, or cut a couple to bring in to add to a table top flower arrangement.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:20pm
Sorry, I guess I'm boring....I don't try to "recycle" anything from my pantry that way. However, I would like to plant an avacado seed in a pot sometime. I've heard they are supposed to be fairly easy to grow.

~ Joy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:44am
I've never tried to germinate dried seed herbs. Aren't they beyond help?