Question Of The Week inside:

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week inside:
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:19am
What is the most used item in your pantry, and what/how do you use it?

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

My garlic and herb seasoning blend. I use it in place of salt, for rubs, marinade ingredient, and in almost every dish I prepare. I even use some on foods prepared by my DW for flavoring additive. Hey, they say garlic is heart healthy, so along with it's flavor exchange for salt, and the wonderful mix of flavors within it, I get the extra benefit of it helping me stay health and heart healthy.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 7:57am
Lemon Pepper seasoning - I really like the taste and put it on meat and vegetables.

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 11:25am
I'd have to say the most-used item in my pantry is potatoes. I use them every way imaginable. It makes me sad to see people with very little to spend on groceries (or using food stamps) filling their shopping carts with expensive ready-made potato products. For what it costs for 2 pounds of fries, they could buy 10 pounds of potatoes! Not that there is anything wrong with keeping some "convience" potato items on hand. But when money is tight, don't stretch your budget even more. A bag of potatoes can go a long way to help feed a hungry family. And there are sooooo many things you cou can do with them!

~ Joy

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 7:28am
There wasn't a meal other than breakfast (except on rare occasions) when I was growing up that potatoes weren't used. Our family garden plot was always prepared with at least two varieties. And when out of milk, mom would use some buttermilk, which she made herself for mashing them...added benefit, it gave them a (sour cream) taste without having any in them. We would on very rare occasions have left over potatoes, that would be used by mashing them, and turning that into potatoe pancakes for breakfast.

For a poor farm family, we also found potatoes to be a major staple in our daily diets, and not until we were grown and out of the house did any of us actually gain to overweight. 3 of us still havn't...lol...

I worked for another farmer for the last 4 years at home as well though, and that farmer's wife could do something with potatoes for breakfast nearly every day. I still use that basic recipe today, having added a few personal touches and it is my family's favorite breakfast change up. I make my recipe for such about once a month, and almost always on a Sunday, as a special thank you to them for great weeks where they deserve the treat....not for what they have or have not done, but just because I feel they deserve the filling, great tasting meal.

Mitch