Pantry or Cupboard Shelves?

iVillage Member
Pantry or Cupboard Shelves?
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 8:05am
Hello everyone! I hope you had a nice weekend and the weather was nice for you! It was lovely in AZ but the weekend went by too quick as always! LOL!

Many new homes have pantries built into them, some fancy some plain. My home was built in 1982 and it doesn't have a pantry so I use my cupboards to store my pantry items. My sister has an older home too but it was custom built and has a fabulous pantry where the shelves pull out and there is more storage behind the shelves. Do you have a real pantry or do you use your cupboard shelves? Tell us about how you store your food.

Have a great day!

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 11:42am
Ours is a joke! This kitchen was built by some guy who probably only stored beer in the fridge, LOL! Back when this house was built (1978), anyone who could get a GC's license and swing a hammer could build a house. grrr...We bought the place in 1980, just before the new houses with the big baths and kitchens became the norm. Why didn't we ever trade up? Because you can't get this kind of area within 15 miles of the Capitol and we love listening to the cattle in the morning.

Anyway, back to the pantry...what pantry?! We have an L-shaped utility room, also known as our mud room, that is a bit narrow, and 2 refrigerators, one of which is in the garage just outside the utility room door. That's where the upright freezer used to be that's supposed to fit where the builder thought he allowed room in the utility room, LOL! The so-called pantry is a tall 4-door cabinet into which my odd-sized Tupperware doesn't fit very well, the shelves aren't deep enough to be efficient and I had to add exposed wire shelving on a track to hold my baking pans, hanging tools, etc. This is a house where people actually cook, but don't have the space to store the gear and ingredients.

So, we make do with what we have. Oh, well, one of these days...

ROFL!

Alysia ;-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 8:50pm
When we built our home 4 years ago, I made sure to have a walk-in pantry. The floor plan was supposed to have both a "family room" and a "living room" I took what was supposed to be the "family room" off the kitchen and turned it into a utility room, with a walk-in pantry and a walk-in closet for DH's work clothes.

Anyway, the pantry....has a door that opens to the middle of it, it is 6 1/2 feet wide and 4 feet deep. The side shelves are 21 inches deep, and the shelf on the back wall is 11 inches deep. The lowest shelf is 24 inches off of the floor so I have room to store my roaster and 5 gallon drink coolers on the floor. I also have a wooden potato/onion crate that sits in the floor. The top shelf has 24 inches of head room to store lots of paper goods and seasonal kitchen stuff. I just love it!

~ Joy

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 10:24pm
I'm so jealous Joy! You have a dream pantry! I have a small 2-bedroom house so the kitchen isn't the biggest and there isn't much cupboard space so I can't stock up on canned food and legumes like I want to but we work with what we have! LOL!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 10:25pm
LOL Alysia! - you sound like me - we just make do with what we have.

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 7:18am
Well, I built my new pantry this past winter because my DW wanted the back door (which is in the kitchen as well) and was broken to open inward, and have a screen door on the outside. The old 4 by 4 foot shelving unit which was just 11 inches deep was to wide to get away with opening the door inward. I built the new one 7 feet tall, 3 feet wide, with shelves 16 inches deep. We cleared everything off the floor around it, and from our bedroom closet as well into the new pantry. The door went in about a month later, when we had a break in the weather. There are more improvements to be made in this kitchen, including getting the doors built for the pantry, but with spring gardening, cleaning both inside and outside to be done, just not enough time to get back to remodeling yet.

Mitch