Why do my tomato cans explode?

iVillage Member
Why do my tomato cans explode?
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 10:28pm
Okay so this happens to me all the time. I buy canned tomato sauce/paste and canned sauerkraut and it will explode in my cupboard after a while. If it doesn't explode the can bulges. Now the cupboard is next to my fridge and I'm wondering if the heat of the fridge is causing this but it's so weird! Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 8:13am
Thanks Mitch for your explanation. I especially didn't know about storing tomatos and sauerkraut in metal containers!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 8:11am
LMBO! I haven't "heard" the word "grody" is a longggggggggg time! Thanks for the giggle Alysia!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 10:11pm
Yep! It's the heat. During the winter, I store canned tomatoes and sauces in the garage where it's cold. During the summer, I stick them in the dark cool part of the so-called pantry cupboard in the utility room. Those things don't sit around long enough to go bad, in this house, though. DH loves his tomatoes.

I've found some pretty "grody-looking" home-canned apple butter that I forgot in the back of the cupboard, though, LOL!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 7:27am
Since both products you mention are very acidic, and put off gasses when stored, especially near heated areas, your explanation of where they are stored tells me that the only way to resolve your exploding cans issue is to get them away from that heat source. The old canning cellars were great as they kept both light and heat from getting to home canned goods, but as times and homes change, such is no longer the case. Metal cans take care of the light problem, but heat is a real enemy of them.

On an additional note: Tomatoes and sourcraut don't do well exposed to air and metal. Never open up either, and store it in a metalic container that can't be air vacuum sealed.

I'm affraid that my two cents worth means that you will have to find a way to insulate your acidic products from any heat source. If at all possible, don't expose any canned goods to an area that has that much heat near them.

Mitch