.·:*¨¨*:·. Wednesday Wine! .·:*¨¨*:·.

iVillage Member
.·:*¨¨*:·. Wednesday Wine! .·:*¨¨*:·.
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 7:59am
Happy Wine day to all! Every Wednesday, we like to discuss different wine topics as many people enjoy wine with their meals, like to give wine for a gift, are having a party and need help selecting the correct wines, etc.

So for this week, let's discuss this scenario and what you would do...

We’re fast approaching summer and that means it’s BBQ time! So, you’re having a BBQ party and serving ribs with a BBQ sauce that is smoky, spicy, and sweet. Now I know you’re thinking of beer, margaritas, iced tea or some other drink but have you really thought about serving a wine with BBQ? What would your choice be to go along with the BBQ’ed ribs?

We're looking forward to your answers and remember, no answer is wrong!

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 8:20am
I couldn't find a (brushing) emoticon, so...went with blushing....LOL

Since I stay completely away from alcohol in my body, I do use a red wine vinegar though in some of my paint on sauce for grilling. Occasionally I'll use a red wine as a taste change for pork ribs though too in my brush on sauce. Try it some time, you'll be surprised at how tender sweet your ribs can be.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 10:37am
Tangy and sweet...well, we like sangria! Use a hearty red wine, doesn't matter what, like a burgundy, doesn't have to be expensive, because this is a fun wine punch for your large gathering at a BBQ. My family almost always made sangria for the pool parties and neighborhood cookouts. We lived in a cul de sac with 8 other neighbors who were such a blast to party with! Plus, at our home base (grandma's house in San Francisco), so close to California wine country, sangria was the norm during summer.

Since Cinco de Mayo is fast upon us, here's my recipe for:

SANGRIA

2 sweet juice oranges, sliced

1 large lemon, sliced

1 lime, sliced

1/2 C. sugar (the fine, quick=-dissolving is great)

1 gal. red Burgundy (you're going to laugh - my parents loved Gallo Red Mountain for this)

1 C. orange-flavored liqueur (this is the only expensive part, if you use Grand Marnier)

2 bay leaves (optional)

1 C. brandy (any cheap one will do)

ice

2 qt. club soda

fresh orange slices to garnish

Combine and refrigerate overnight all ingredients up to the club soda.

At serving time, discard the orange, lemon and lime slices. Add ice to a large punch bowl, pour in 1/2 sangria and 1/2 club soda. Garnish the punch bowl with fresh orange slices. Garnish the glasses with orange slices.

Saluda!

Alysia :-)