Thoughtful Thursday:

iVillage Member
Thoughtful Thursday:
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 7:39am
Since we are coming up on the Memorial Day holiday, what are your thoughts on that, and the big question....what's cooking for it? LOL

Mitch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is one more reminder time of what our Veterans and their families are going through through the years protecting our and other's freedoms.

I'm not sure that I'm doing anything extravagant this year....not feeling to well, so we'll be lucky to be having a hot dog and hamburger picnic. Usually, this is the beginning of my BBQ pork making season.....most years we get enough left over pork BBQ to freeze and use through the winter months.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 11:01am
I wish more people would remember what the day is for than simply think of it as a day off from work. While I don't go to any Memorial Day events, I do reflect on our nation's veterans and especially now. In Arizona we have a mountain called Squaw Peak which has now been officially renamed to Piestewa Peak after Lori Piestewa, the first American Indian woman to die in a war. It comes at a good time since the American Indians that live in AZ found the term "Squaw" very offensive and it's been a source of debate for a long time.

Anyway, my traitor sister and her family are going to Rocky Point, Mexico for the holiday weekend so it will just be me and my parents so nothing specific is planned for BBQ.

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 11:47am
I'll be attending a ceremony at our town's memorial grounds where there are monuments to wars all the way back to the revolutionary war. We have a mass grave where 53 revolutionary war soldiers are buried. Led by General Wayne, they were killed in a cornfield there by General Howe's men in the dead of night. Howe had his men remove the flints from their rifles and only use bayonettes - they found their victims by the flashes of their guns.

http://www.ushistory.org/march/phila/paoli.htm

http://www.ushistory.org/more/paoli.html

This year it will be especially moving with a much larger event than most years. I won't be cooking anything, just buying a hotdog or something while there.

Edited 5/22/2003 11:49:02 AM ET by cekurs

Elaine