Question Of The Week

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 10:31am
BBQ sauce.......What is your favorite type, and why?

Mitch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I purchase (k-c masterpiece), but you wouldn't believe what I do with it to MAKE MY OWN out of it. I purchase it though because it's thick enough to be added to without making it to watery.

My children always ask...which one is "Mitch's" sauce, and get it out of the refrigerator, leaving the other alone...waiting for me to use the rest of it as a part of my next batch of sauce. I make a sauce where the original one is about 1/4 of the ingredien list. The rest is other liquid items, and MORE seasonings...LOL

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 1:24pm
I don't use BBQ sauce - I usually BBQ without it. But I like the tart, spicy, real light on the sugar ones...

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-27-2003 - 8:21am
I don't have a "favorite" sauce. I like to try all different kinds and have several varieties in my pantry at any given time. I usually end up "doctoring-up" the sauces with a little of this or that to get what I think I need for whatever meat I am cooking.

~ Joy

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 12:53am
I like Kraft with hickory or mesquite flavoring for ribs. If using it with chicken then I get something sweeter.

So....Mitch......ahem.....what kind of liquids and seasonings are we talking about?? Is it a secret recipe or can you share?

Letty

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 7:29am
All my family and neighbors say I should pattent it, bottle and sell it. However, when I make it, they all want me to (GIVE) them some for their use...LOL...

In one sentence, they are saying I should keep my secret, protecting it with a pattent, and in the next.... give it away, cupfull by cupfull.

By the time I'm done with the sauce, it hits your tongue sweet, but comes back to bite as you chew your food. I make it slightly thinner than what kc does so that it can not just be used on, but even in foods like my pork and beef bbq's, where I keep the meats moistened while cooking with (pork gets hot vinegar spray) beef gets lemon with worcestershire sauce spray, then after the meats are tender enough to tear with a fork, I stirr in the sauce, and return them to the grill to re-heat, gain a bit more smoke flavor, and then they are ready to serve.

I've found that grinding some in a meat grinder makes sandwiches a lot easier to give to the children....less dripping, more inside their bellies...LOL...

My children will use up a bottle the size of kc-masterpice that I purchase of my sauce in less than a month, using it with grilled (everything), and even on pot roast, roast beef sandwiches, and one even on blt sandwiches, but she's a bit wierd anyways....LOL

So far, this shall stay a secret recipe though, as I contemplate on the idea of the pattent.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 7:54am
Hi Joy - it seems like I haven't seen you for a while - I hope you had a nice holiday weekend!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 8:47am
Hi Donna~

It's just a busy time of year for us, and my computer time is sort of limited right now. We raise Burley Tobacco and also raise seedlings (in hydroponic float-style greenhouses and outside float beds)and that we wholesale to other tobacco growers. The weather in our area finally dried up enough the the past week for farmers to start setting tobacco. So, I've been busy with the greenhouses and loading up customers' plants for them while DH and FIL been busy with our own crop.

We didn't do anything "special" over the holiday weekend...just work. And I ended up sick on Sunday, but am much better now.

Thanks for asking about me.

~ Joy

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 10:49am
Hi Joy - sorry you got sick on Sunday - that's no fun! It sounds like you are very busy right now! But busy means income I hope! Check in when you can so we know you're alive - LOL!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 1:21am
Shoot yes! GIVE ME a bottle and SELL IT to the others...rofl!!

But when you pattent, bottle and sell it, pencil me in as a costumer, ok?

Letty