**Wednesday Wine.... Cooler.... Recipes?

iVillage Member
**Wednesday Wine.... Cooler.... Recipes?
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 10:59am
It's Wednesday Wine! For this week I thought I would share a recipe for wine coolers. A very light and refreshing summer drink while sitting on the patio. Easy and cheap. Do you have any favorite wine drink recipes? We would love to hear about them!

Smiles,

Donna :-)

Homemade Wine Cooler

1 bottle wine (white or red)

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle ginger ale, Sprite or 7-Up

Pour wine into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid. When cubes are frozen, plop 1 or 2 into a glass of ginger ale. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes so the cubes melt a little; stir.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 11:22am
oooh! I love wine coolers!

The good ol' California yuppy wine cooler is about 3/4 Chardonnay to 1/4 club soda, tonic water or ginger ale over ice.

I like to make my own fruity cooler with 1/2 Chardonnay, 1/4 ginger ale and 1/4 mango juice, peach juice or mauna lai punch.

Or, add a bit of strawberry flavoring to the "yuppy" cooler.

Alcohol doesn't freeze, so I sometimes pour ginger ale into a gel mold ring, freeze until "set up" enough to add whole strawberries, raspberries or thinly sliced orange rounds, whatever, and some spearmint leaves. Freeze until solid, then use as the ice in the punchbowl of white wine (like Chablis or Chardonnay).

White Zinfandel is also nice as a cooler.

Next stop - granita!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 6:47pm
I can't drink now but when I did I loved a berry or peach wine cooler...

Kim :o)

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 6:51pm
Sorry about the hat!! Kim :o)
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 7:13pm
No problem Kim - I'm just glad you posted!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 7:14pm
Oh yummy Alysia! What great recipes! I know I'll be trying these at my next pool party! Thank you!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 7:55pm
I like a very plain wine cooler. Here you go.

REC Wine Cooler

60ml/2 fl oz white wine

155ml/5 fl oz solo or similar (lemon-lime soda)

fresh mint leaves, shredded

ice, crushed or cubes

Mix wine and soft drink. Pour into glass. Add ice and mint.

Cheers.

Enjoy Suzi

SEASONAL COOKING
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 8:52pm
I like the idea of mint leaves Suzi - thank you!

Smiles,

Community Leader
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 11:25pm
In catering & bartending, we always made the wine coolers with red wine, cranberry juice, apple juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, grenadine syrup, sweet and sour (like a condensed lemonade), limeade, and soda or 7-up. Pick your poisons, it's your punch bowl! A wine spritzer is just the wine and carbonated drink (soda or 7-up). White wine lends to apple juice, and clear sodas. hints about making wine punches--DO NOT try to run anything with orange juice or frozen limeade concentrate in it throuh a champagne fountain unless you want to buy a new fountain, stick to the punch bowl. EWW! And DO NOT try to make a punch of grapefruit juice for a young crowd, LOL, they don't appreciate it! LOL!!

k=roni

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 10:53am
ROFLMBO! How many fountains did it take for someone to figure out the viscosity issue? Too funny!

You're right on about grapefruit juice! I have made a punch with mauna lai and ginger ale for as long as mauna lai has been around and the kids love it. Kick it up with a magnum of dry champagne for the adult punch bowl and spread some cheer, LOL!

Alysia ;-)