.·:*¨¨*:·. Wed Bubbly Wine! .·:*¨¨*.6/4

iVillage Member
.·:*¨¨*:·. Wed Bubbly Wine! .·:*¨¨*.6/4
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 8:24am
Happy Wine day to all! I hope your week is going well! This week is bubbly week (for no particular reason - LOL!) Do you like sparkling wines? If so which do you prefer? If not, why don't you like them?

I'm looking foward to hearing what you have to say on the Bubbly!

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 8:35am
I'm partial to Aste Spumante because a good quality one is cheaper than good champagne. I also like another sparkling Italian wine - Lacrima Christi - which is lighter and a bit sweeter. I don't drink except for a glass of winde on special occassions, so bubbly is my favorite.

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 9:34am
Hi Elaine! Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante is my favorite too! I would like to try Lacrima Christi - is it very expensive? I prefer the sweeter bubblies.

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 10:26am
Sparkling wine or authentic champagne, I love the tiny bubbles!

Among my favorite sparkling wines are Freixenet's Carta Nevada Brut and Domaine St. Michele's Cuvee Brut. In fact, the Domaine St. Michele is my sparkling wine of choice for parties, surprisingly very good at such a low price!

If you think nothing can beat Dom Perignon, I have actually had a champagne that was smoother and had a much nicer flavor, made by Pieroth. Now, if anyone remembers Pieroth, it was a German vineyard that used to market in the States via wine tasting parties. However, since it's no longer available in the U.S., I haven't been able to find any.

DH and I do pop for the Dom Perignon on very special occasions, and will buy it if we find it for a reasonable price. Last night, in honor of our 25th wedding anniversary, we opened a bottle that we had purchased about 3 years ago for less than $100 - that was a bargain find, considering we had been forking out around $150 or so and the bottles had to be delivered to us with a security guard, LOL!

Remember that, under new rules established a few years ago, only the product of the Champagne region in France can be legally labeled "champagne," while all else must be labeled either sparkling wine or methode champenoise.

There's no reason why you can't indulge your champagne taste on a beer budget, once you find a sparkling wine that will fit your bill. After all, the Domaine St. Michele is just about the same price as a good table wine.

Cheers,

Alysia :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 2:56pm
Thank you Alysia for all that wonderful information! I did not know that there was a "champagne" law - LOL! I have never tasted Dom P. Is it very dry? I lean towards the sweeter bubblies. I will put the Domaine St. Michele on my list of wines to try!

Smiles,

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 3:03pm
Not so much expensive as hard to find. Here in Pennslvania we have a State Liquor store system and they just don't carry a good variety. Last time I had it was in NY.

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 4:35pm
Thanks Elaine - no state run stores here so I'll see if I can find it.

Smiles,