Question Of The Week

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:20am
What storage systems for food products do you use besides pantry shelves?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have stackable plastic storage boxes for dog food, potatoes, and onions.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 3:10pm
I have a wooden crate that I use for potatoes and onions. I have a plastic milk crate that corrals all of the cereal boxes. Both of those crates sit on the pantry floor.

I use several small plastic storage boxes (7X11) and (11X14)sizes to corral like-items. I don't use the lids, I just use the boxes to keep stuff together.

One for packets of seasoning mixes (ranch and Italian dressing, onion soup mix, packets of chili seasoning, packets of chinese seasoning mixes, etc.)

One for jello and pudding mixes

One for rice and beans

Another for pastas

A couple for cake and brownie mixes

One for packets of things like muffin mixes

And one for holding all the containers of boullion, soup bases, etc. that I get at the Amish Bulk Food Store

This system has been very beneficial in keeping things from being scattered all over the pantry. Rather than rummaging around on shelves for a particular flavor of jello, I just pull out the plastic storage box and it's much easier to find what I'm looking for.

I also have a large tote on the pantry floor that I keep the lid on. I keep extra baking items in it....an extra bag of flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and chocolate chips.

~ Joy

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:56pm
Since I have one small cupboard as a pantry, I only use a bread pan to store all my seasoning packets and everything else is just thrown in there.

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 4:43pm
I have lots of storage and am so happy for it! I do keep my onions in a decorative colander in a dark corner on the kitchen cabinets. Keep my garlic in one of those ceramic little garlic keepers. When the weather is cool, I keep my potatoes hanging on a nail in the cool garage on a nail just outside the door. Cool winter garages are also great for keeping wine ;o)

Now inside my pantry I have plastic containers for different things, pasta, rice, mix packages etc. Oh, and I do keep special flours that I don't use very often in freezer bags in the freezer!

~Cheryl~