Question Of The Week: Fat

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week: Fat
Mon, 07-14-2003 - 9:43am
Do you read labels for bad fat content?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been reading labels for a lot of years. Now though, along with fats, I'm also very concious of salts and carbohydrates. Purchasing food products with low fat, salt, and carbs has sure been a challenge.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 7:48am
What is bad fat? I read labels for % of fat most definitely. I heard that soon products will have to label how much of the product is made with trans-fat but I don't know much about it.

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 10:16am
Yep, the trans fat is the "bad" fat that is now to be on the labels of food items. It seems that they have some how linked transfat to cholesterol, heart problems, and weight gain.

Mitch

Community Leader
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 11:20am
Well, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. When I buy junk food I most often do. I very rarely buy cakes and stuff as I make my own and I can adjust what I put in it if I think it has way too much fat, but still want to make it.

Linda T.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 10:56am
I totally agree. My family has no idea that I use apple sauce in place of any oils called for in cakes and cookies that I make at home. For some reason, although they even see me making such, they don't realize that I'm reducing fats in such a manner.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 12:46pm
Yep! Not that I always understand what all the stuff is that is listed on the label, LOL!

I found a true low-carb health bar, by the way, since you're watching carbs these day, and it tasted awful. Maybe we should come up with our own recipe?

Cheers!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 6:22am
I read labels for two things - saturated fat and sodium. I won't by anything with too much of either. I'm not so concerned with polyunsaturated fats, but if there's too much of that I avoid that product too. I'll be glad when they finally list the trans fats, but you can tell if the product contains any by looking a the ingredients - if you see the word "hydrogenated" that's trans fat. Information from my caridiologist.

I think what you need is balance and foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. I still use butter because most margerine has trans fats and too many chemicals, but the fat of choice at my house is good olive oil. A nice soft spread can be made by beating softened, unsalted butter with olive oil in an electric mixer. It's great for making herb butters or garlic butter.

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 6:30pm
Hi Mitch! I have been checking product labels for years. I check them for sugar, and fat and sodium. I try to cook as lowfat as possible. I use applesauce instead of oil for my breads, and I am using more olive oil in my cooking. Will post a recipe for you.

Hugs, Viv :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 1:47pm
When I read the labels, its usually just out of curiosity to be perfectly honest. I do know that for me thou, carbs are something that make me gain weight. When off at college, where I tend to eat more starchy foods, I gain weight. But the minute I am back home, it all goes away. And heres a side note about ingredient lists -- you know how everyone went thru that time where MSG was so bad, and no one wanted to use it? Well, its still in foods today, everything from crackers to sauces. They just spell out the whole word, so if you are worried about MSG be sure to look for monosodium glutamate on the package.