REC: Cream of something soup

iVillage Member
REC: Cream of something soup
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 7:11pm
OK--here's a little recipe for you. I got it from one of the boards several months ago, and really like it.

I don't like buying the canned soups with all the fat and sodium, so I will also post my variation of this recipe below.

REC: Cream of Something Soup

3/4 cup cornstarch

2 cups low fat dry milk

2 TBSP dry onion flakes

1/4 cup chicken boullion granules

1 tsp each garlic powder and basil

1/2 tsp pepper

2 TBSP dry celery flakes (optional)

This is a convenient mix for making the equivalent of a can of cream of celery, or mushroom soup, which so many recipes call for. To make the mix, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them up, distributing everything evenly. Store the mixture in a quart size container, well sealed. It will keep for several months.

To cook: combine 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cup cool tap water in a small saucepan. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil and stir for a full minute. Remove from heat. It is now ready to use in any recipe calling for a can of Cream of Mushroom, or Celery or Chicken Soup. I tested all of the casseroles in my Website with this recipe and it worked perfectly without exception.

You can also make this in the microwave in which case, reduce the liquid to 1 cup, because none will evaporate during the cooking process.

An additional benefit to this recipe, it contains no added fat. If you wanted to, you could add a TBSP of margarine or bacon grease for more flavor, but it really doesn't need it.

Rho

Now my way: low fat and no sodium.

2 cups non-fat dry milk powder

3/4 cup cornstarch.

Mix well. Cook as above. Add the veggies and herbs while making your soup or

sauce.

When I want a white sauce for soup, veggies, or scalloped potatoes I use the Cream

of Anything Soup.

Hugs, Viv :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 9:35am
I got this from oldfashioned living, and it is a also a great basic cream soup. I will have to try NKpa62 this weeknd. I thinkthis one is a bit more fatten.

Basic Cream Soup

Ingredients:

2 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned

(you can substitute vegetable broth)

1 cup finely cut vegetable (see below)

1 small onion, minced or processed fine in chopper

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

salt, pepper to taste

1 cup cream, half and half or whole milk

1-2 tsp. arrowroot,

OR 2 tablespoon each flour and butter (see directions)

Place the broth into a pan, add the cut vegetables and simmer until they are tender.While they are cooking, saute the onion in a small amount of butter until it is lightly browned. Add the onion and chopped fresh parsley to the vegetables as they finish cooking. Drain the vegetable mixture, reserving the liquid. Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor and return to the broth. Taste for seasoning. Add more salt or pepper if needed. Add the cream or milk over a very low heat, and choose your thickening option.

Thickening Options:

Arrowroot powder: Mix the arrowroot powder with a small amount of milk and add to the soup.

Flour and butter:Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add the flour, stirring until the mixture becomes smooth. Slowly stir into the soup.

After adding your choice of thickening, heat the soup slowly until it comes to a boil and thickens. Garnish with chopped chives, a dash of paprika, or shredded cheese.

Vegetable Options

The following vegetables can be used for cream soups. Choose one cup for the recipe above.

Asparagus

carrots

cauliflower

broccoli

1/2 cup each of broccoli and cauliflower

fresh peas

1/2 cup potatoes and 1/2 cup leeks (wash well!)

fresh spinach

Corn: Scrape corn off cobs, steam or boil lightly and add to your cream soup WITHOUT pureeing.

Mushrooms: Slice about a 1/2 pound and saute in 3 tablespoons butter until soft. As with corn, add without pureeing.

More Tips

The basic soup of puree and stock may be frozen, defrosted and then the milk and thickening added as the recipe calls for.

The cream soup variations can be served hot in the winter with hearty croutons and crusty bread. In the summer you can take advantage of the vegetables and herbs in season. Throw in a springs of basil, thyme or oregano when pureeing. For garnish use chive blossoms or nasturtium blooms for an elegant touch.

Cream soups can be served with a simple salad and bread for luncheons or as a first course for dinner. You may forget that soup even comes in a can!

About the Author

Brenda Hyde is a Mom of three, a freelance writer and editor of the six newsletters here at Seeds of Knowledge. For information on subscribing Click here

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 11:03am
Thank you ladies for the great recipes. I'll make sure to keep some of those things at hand for cooler weather soups.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 3:41pm
This sounds like something I used to make from the Make A Mix cookbook. I think pantry mixes like this are wonderful!

Thanks for sharing,

Alysia :-)