Question Of the Week: Garden produce

iVillage Member
Question Of the Week: Garden produce
Mon, 07-28-2003 - 9:52am
How much fresh garden produce do you have now with farmer's markets, and growing your own do you have stored in your pantry?

Mitch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All I've got done is one quart of stewed tomato's so far.

We freeze fresh corn with the shucks still on them. That way I can put them on the grill. Cooking them with the shucks still intact makes the corn a lot easier to clean. No hairs stick between the kernels once cooked.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2003 - 11:25am
None but I wish I had fresh produce. It just goes bad though since there is only one of me and I can't eat that much produce in a week - LOL! And Arizona isn't conducive to growing my own veggies although I have fresh oranges off my tree during the winter and they are delicious.

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2003 - 2:07pm
With a wonderful small farmer's market and a good roadside stand, I have a wide choice. Our local produce is a little late this year because of the cool wet spring we had, but it's starting to come in.

This week I have some nice baby mixed lettuces, some ripe roma plum tomatoes, tiny baby zuchini and beautiful broccoli. in the fruit department I got New Jersey blueberries. I also got some white peaches, but they are from down south not local. I didn't buy any corn because the only variety they had was the super sweet type, and it just don't think it has much flavor (picky-picky!) I can't seem to find the old fashioned silver king (or queen) this year, or any yellow corn. Also, really local and available year round - mushrooms from Kennett Square, PA!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 9:09am
I am one who agrees with you about those "old fashioned" type corn types. Our corn crops here were planted three times, and due to a long wet spring, if we get any fresh from local farmers, it will be next month. After reading your post, I realized that at one time we might have been neighbors of sorts. My grandparents had a farm not far from Kennet square, and we used to take hay there to the mine as a cash crop. I was just a summer resident there though, and well....that was a LOT of years ago...LOL but thank you ever so much for the memories you just brought back to me Elaine.

Mitch