Question about moose jerky....

iVillage Member
Question about moose jerky....
Mon, 07-28-2003 - 9:28pm
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of making my husband and his friend who are currently overseas some jerky with moose meat that was given to me. My question is, how long is moose meat usually good for? And how long can it be safely kept in the refrigerator before going bad? The meat that was given to me was dated from last year, and I currently have it defrosting in the fridge, but I don't know if it's been too long. I just don't want to send it to him and make him sick... any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 7:48am
Hi Jmwinfree - the longest that meat should be frozen and used is 12 months. If this meat has been frozen longer than 12 months I would be hesitant in using it. I honestly do not know if your husband would get sick if you used the meat. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!

Smiles,

Donna :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 9:18am
I wouldn't use any meat that has been thawed from my freezer in the refrigerator for more than 2 days prior to cooking, and that would count from the time I removed it from the freezer on. Wild meat in itself can have it's own problems with two fronts here though. One is the time after defrost, and the other is Mailing it out of state, let alone overseas. The government has regulations regarding the passing of wild meats from one state to another as well as even stricter regulations on sending meat and produce overseas. If they knew or discovered what was in that package, it will go to a warehouse for so long that it wouldn't be any good even after being properly packaged for shipment.

I'm sorry to have to give such information, but wouldn't feel right if I just let it go without a warning to you about it. Sure wouldn't want them on the case of anyone here if I could help it.

Mitch