Sunday meals from the pantry

iVillage Member
Sunday meals from the pantry
Sun, 08-03-2003 - 8:01am
Here's what I'm having today as I try to use up some canned goods and clean out the refrigerator

Lunch will be four bean salad - 1 small can each cut green beans, cut wax beans, red kidney beans, and chick peas, and a little jar of pimento, combined with diced celery and onion. The dressing is equal parts of olive oil and rice vinegar with a generous glop of sweet honey mustard shaken up in a jar - very simple! Served on a bed of greens with olives, pickles, bread and cheese on the side. Canned fruit for dessert.

Supper will be ---

Sweet & Sour Chicken

1 pound chicken thighs, boned and cut into 1" pieces

1 green bell pepper, cut in 1" pieces

2 carrots, sliced

1 medium onion, diced

1 can water chestnuts, halved

1 can sliced bamboo shoots

1 small can pineapple chunks, juice reserved

3 TBS soy sauce (or to taste)divided

4 TBS dry sherry

2 TBS rice vinegar

1 TBS honey

4 TBS cornstarch divided

peanut oil

Marinate the chicken in 2 tbs of soy sauce and 2 TBS of sherry, for 15 minutes. Drain and toss to coat with 2 TBS cornstarch. Heat enough peanut oil to cover the bottom of the wok until very hot. Stir fry the chicken until golden and remove from the wok. Add carrots and stir fry several minutes. Add the green pepper and onion and stir fry several minutes. Add the drained water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, pineapple and stir fry until the vegetables are crisp tender. Combine the rest of the liquid ingredients, including the reserved pineapple juice, with the corn starch and pour into the wok and stir in. Bring up to a boil and stir until thickened. Serve with steamed rice.

Note: the bones and skin from the chicken thighs will be simmering on the back of the stove with the trimmings from the carrot, onion and the celery ends from lunch. I'll strain it and have stock to make soup tomorrow.

That's my food plan for the day!

Have a nice sunday

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-03-2003 - 10:38am
Sounds Yummy Cekurs! Our lunch is actually brunch on the weekends, including bacon, eggs, and (fried potatoes) Taking half the bacon to cut into pieces, cut up 3 large (baking sized) potatoes, one large onion, and 1 cup of mushrooms. Placing the potatoes into the fry pan set on the range at medium heat first, and then allowing them to cook covered for 10 minutes. Next add the onions, mushrooms, and cut up bacon pieces, season with pepper, garlic, and a dry herb blend, toss in pan, and cook, tossing again every 5 minutes until the potatoes are done, then cover with a bit of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, cover, and turn off the heat from the electric range. Leave covered for 5 more minutes before serving.

Supper will be simply grilled chicken....I place the boneless skinless breasts into a gallon sized zip loc bag, sprinkle and turn in 3 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 3 tablespoons of (chicken rub seasoning blend), and turn this around to coat as much of the chicken as possible. Next, I put 1/4 cup of bbq sauce into the bag, and work the mixture with my hands until all the chicken pieces are well covered with the entire mixture. Now I light the grill, while allowing the chicken to marinate in the bag with all that I've put in with it. Once the grill is ready, simply grill the chicken breasts for the family....Grill corn along with the chicken (with the husks still on, and covered with aluminum foil along with a pat of butter each.

When the corn is done, (about 25 minutes) the husks will peel off without leaving any of the hairs attached to the corn itself either. Adding to this, a can of green beans and fresh tossed salad for the DW's sake.

Mitch