Wednesday Wine

iVillage Member
Wednesday Wine
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 8:34am
I was watching the news this past weekend, and a story about less expensive wines actually being better than a lot of more expensive ones. Getting a state fair award helped launch these wines into the marketplace even.

How much is a good wine supposed to cost? Is it true that your favorite wine is one of the less expensive ones?

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 9:19pm
I've always been partial to Robert Mondavi's Red Table Wine and White Table Wine. It's been consistantly good over the years and is moderately priced.

That said, I don't drink at all anymore because of the handfuls of pills I have to take every day - what a drag!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 4:20pm
I usually pay $8 to $12 per bottle. Love Blackstone Merlot. I had a Shiraz from Australia that was great, would have to go look at the bottle to tell you what it is called. I did just buy some very reasonable Asti for mimosas. Woodbridge is a really good less expensive wine. I love to cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food LOL!

~Cheryl~

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 12:42pm
You're absolutely right if you think a good wine doesn't have to cost so much as to break the bank.

My absolute favorite wine is Mouton Cadet White Burgundy. It's getting an outstanding Rothschild at a Ford price at around $8/bottle.

For a really good, yet inexpensive bubbly made in the methode champagnoise, try Domaine St. Michelle, made in Washington State, at about $10/bottle. At less than 10% the cost of the other "D" champagne, you can stock up on this for New Year's.

Check your state to see if there are local varieties that have made a name for themselves. We have a few in Texas, even.

Cheers,

Alysia :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 1:10pm
Tried something new: Arbor Mist Wine Blender in strawberry. You blend it with ice to make a sort of slushy wine drink. I added seltzer water for a spritz, then tried adding champagne for more of a punch. It was nice and would make a good party punch with an ice ring.

I definitely have to get a smoothie maker or something that makes slushes!

Alysia ;-)