Question Of The Week: Ketchup

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week: Ketchup
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 9:22am
How many of you have made your own ketchup, mustard, mayonaise or such?

Mitch

I've made both mustard and mayonaise on my own. I don't much like ketchup though, and would rather use my tomatos for italian style sauces.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 1:05pm
I've made mayonnaise, but not ketchup/catsup or mustard. I've ground mustard seeds, that's about it.

I like making my own mayo; just don't try it on humid days!

I also like making an emulsified vinaigrette, a French "mayo," using just lemon juice, herbs and olive oil. Having a handy dandy hand blender does the trick.

I just know you're going to ask me for a recipe, so here's one for a basic French vinaigrette:

to the juice of one lemon, add 1 tbsp olive oil; whip. Continue whipping while adding more olive oil, a tablespoon at a time up to 1/4 cup, until emulsified and to your desired consistency (will be creamy). Chill.

Before serving, add whatever herbs you wish. Shake well.

Cheers,

Alysia :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 1:11pm
Now that you've got my mouth watering with such a tasty treet...I've got do do this one this evening, and it's all your doing...Thanks so much for starting my appetite juices flowing with such a wonderful sounding recipe.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 11:08am
I've made all three. Mayonaise done in a blender is really easy, all you need to remember is to have everything at room temperature and drizzle the olive oil in very slowly. I like to add fresh herbs. Catsup is really not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned, I only did it once. It tasted fine but has to cook, stirring, for a long time. The mustard was not really from scratch - I used Coleman's dry mustard in a little vinegar with salt & a touch of sugar to make hot mustard. I'd like to try it with mustard seeds sometime.

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 12:36pm
You may wish to add horseradish, either sauce or grated from the root (after peeling that is) into your home made mustard to add a bit of tangy heat too.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-16-2003 - 2:30am
Hi Mitch!

How are you? Nice to "meet" you at chat!

I have never made my own mustard, mayonaise or ketchup. I use very little mustard--just in salad dressings. I almost never use mayonaise (What? No Miracle Whip? I'm going home!"). And nothing is better than Heinz Ketchup! (And that takes me back home, to Western Pennsylvania!)

But, I love to make my own herbal vinegars, and use them in my cooking. This is my favorite BBQ sauce. The best thing about it is that I always have these items in my pantry!

2 TBSP Rosemary vinegar

2 TBSP Worchestershire sauce

2 tsp paprika

1 tsp chili powder

3/4 cup ketchup (Heinz, of course!)

3/4 cup water

garlic to taste

I use pork country ribs with this. Brown the meat, put into crockpot or slow cooker. Top with 1 medium onion cut into rings, and pour the sauce over all. I don't remember how long I cook them--until the meat falls apart--and the sauce is all through the meat.

You can serve this for dinner with potatoes, veggies and salad. Or, say for Labor Day dinner, have BBQ pork sandwiches.

Now we have to have buns for the BBQ sandwich. Visit our Bread Machine Board and see a great recipe for onion buns to make and serve with your favorite BBQ. All you need now is a slice of cheese!

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-fdbreadmachi&msg=1964.1

That is the recipe for the onion buns, but while you are there, look around and say hello and introduce yourself. Our bread machine board is more than just bread machine recipes. We are also including batter breads and even jelly and jam. So feel free to post a favorite recipe! Connie (Conniegem) and I will look forward to "seeing" you.

Viv :)