Question Of The Week: Spice rack

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week: Spice rack
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 7:37am
Do you have a specific rack for your spices?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I could find one large enough for the bottles, jars, and tins of spices...LOL...

No I don't. I do have one shelf of my pantry designated for spices, and still have some beside my range.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 8:15am
My DH was nice enough to buy a freestanding pantry. For all my spices, herbs, and the such. I think he actually just got tired of looking at them on the counter :-P
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 9:09am
I keep my spices in a big drawer since I've never been able to find a rack that would hold the array of different size bottles, jars and cans. I have everything from tiny tins of saffron & asafoetida to quart size plastic jars of cinnamon sticks and dry chile peppers. I use an old wooden drawer divider (for cutlery) to keep small bottles from rolling around the drawer.

This drawer is in an old dresser with four deep drawers, converted into an extra kitchen counter. It's the exact height of my sink and stove, so I painted it white and topped it with a piece of melamine board and put it in front of the pass through to the dining room. I pulled it away from the wall about 6" and made the top wider so I have a 27" deep countertop. I use the space at the back to store trays. Each drawer holds a different thing - top drawer is spices, next is baking supplies, third is dry goods like dry fruits, beans, rice etc. Bottom drawer is baking sheets and muffin tins. Tons of storage and a good work surface too - can't beat that!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 8:01am
I like your inginuity cekurs. Now that the "furniture look" in kitchen cabinetry is in style even, you got ahead of that trend, and found a wonderful new use for an otherwise limited type piece of furniture. Great Mind!!!

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 10:55am
It was inspired by neccesity Mitch. My kitchen has no counter space at all, just a huge double drainboard sink, and of course the drainboards are not level. I added a chef's cart, made from a kit, next to the range, but it tends to wobble if you use an electric mixer or the like. So I had to come up with a better work surface. The only cabinets are those over the sink, with lots of extra storage in a pantry, and a closet in the entryway to the old back stairs of the house, but I still needed storage handy to the sink & stove. I hated that dresser in the bedroom, but it's perfect for the kitchen!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 6:26pm
I have a spice drawer, a spice cabinet, shelves in the pantry dedicated to herbs and spices, but no rack, LOL! I'd be happy with a proper pantry, actually.

Alysia :-)

Community Leader
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 10:55pm
I have way too many spices and herbs. I have one big drawer for all my stuff. It's a big tin home made drawer that is incorporated into my cabnits in that space just above the cabnit doors.

Linda T.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 3:13pm
I use a kitchen cabinet with those stair type inserts so I can see the rows. And yes, they are always in alphabetical order! LOL! Otherwise I would be looking for days for the spice I needed. Love spices and herbs.

~Cheryl~

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-26-2003 - 6:31pm
Here's a picture of the of the spice rack I have.

http://www.tubularspices.com/Racks/jk48.asp

Having 50-some different spice containers overflowing my spice cabinet was driving me insane. So this has helped to give me some semblance of "order." It's very pretty and I like it very, very much!

It's not quite big enough to hold "all" of my spices, but I put all of what I consider my "barbecueing and grilling" spices in a little caddy and stashed it in the roller cabinet next to my stove. That way, I can grab it and take all of my barbecue spices out to the grill with me without digging around for them.

~ Joy