What can you make from your garden?

iVillage Member
What can you make from your garden?
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 8:12am
Whether it's from your own garden, or purchased as local produce, what kinds of things do you make, or remember your parents/grandparents making from garden produce that they canned, froze, or dried for use through the winter. Whether they canned and had a canning room, or just kept things in their pantry, our parents and grandparents didn't have the luxuries we have now of being able to get about every kind of produce from a store year round, so please............Let's fill this thread with some wonderful ideas???

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 11:25am
From my own tiny garden I'll have a bumper crop of thyme and rosemary to dry or freeze for winter use. There are small amounts of parsley, chives and oregano. For Bubba, there's catnip to dry. A neighbor left a huge bag of tomatoes on my doorstep and I'm probably going to cook them up into marinara sauce to freeze.

Any day now there should be a sackful of zucchini from another gardener friend. I never can use it all up, but I cook it, mash it and freeze to use in zucchini bread.

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 3:40pm
My garden is mostly herbs which I dry/freeze or use up! Herb vinegars and pestos are my favorites to make to get through the cold months.

Now Mom was a whiz. I remember pickled beets, plum jam and other canned things that I did not like at the time. I even remember her drying the apple slices from our trees and making apple pies all winter long, YUM

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 9:04am
There isn't an icon for "being tired" LOL....I had a long drive two ways from Thursday AM to yesterday, plus doctor's on Friday, and a family get together that lasted the entire day on Saturday....but I wanted to share what came from my parrent's garden to the table for the get together, as we were at their home for it.

My parrents have a garden, 12 feet square...in it are three different tomato types, beans, cabbage, peppers, and onions. They've had a cool and wet summer where they live also, and all these produce products were just fine for dining pleasure. Purchasing some celery, carrots, and potatos, were made both a potato salad and cole slaw, with most ingredients chopped or grated into both. Beans were baked with a tomato sauce, and (store bought) hamburgers were watched by myself on the grill. It amazed me how efficient my parrents worked together from the picking of the produce through the final products they prepared. There was enough to serve about 16 people, and most from a garden only 12 foot square, carefully selected, meticulously and with love, prepared, and served with pride for their guests. I even got the two salads as left overs for late dinner on Saturday Evening.

Mitch