Question Of The Week: Cool season foods

iVillage Member
Question Of The Week: Cool season foods
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 7:30am
Now that Fall is just around the corner, crops are being canned, frozen, dehydrated, and enjoyed strait from the gardens, do you start making decisions as to what type of eating changes you will be making for the cold/damp weather ahead?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indeed I do. From soups to stews, oven cooking verses grilling, and another batch of jerky from either venison or beef, depending on if I'm lucky enough to get any venison again this year to work with. The earlier evenings are already catching up with me for preparation starting time even on the grill. Suppers are now earlier in the evening already, and finding the time to slip it into the busy schedule of my children as they rebound from their day at school, getting homework done, and smells from the kitchen invading their thoughts during that homework time. I also take this time to begin slowing down outdoors, yet doing more things with and for my children at school. A lot of things change around our homes each autumn, even as September is just starting. Believe it or not, I talked to my DW just last evening about the "Thanksgiving meal" already.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 7:50pm
All summer long I avoid turning on the oven and heating up the kitchen. As soon as the weather gets cooler, I start baking and cooking in the oven again. With my new stove I find that not as much heat escapes, so even if the day is a bit warm I will bake a casserole or pie.

Pretty soon the local golden delicious apples will be ready and then I'll go to the orchard and get a basket full and make apple sauce. I cut the apples up, leaving the peel and core and cook them until they're soft in their own juices with just a touch of sugar and a couple of cinnamon sticks, then cool and put through an old fashioned, hand crank food mill to remove the seeds and skin. I don't can applesauce anymore, just put it in zipper freezer bags and freeze them flat on a cookie sheet. Then I stack them up in the freezer and enjoy golden delicious apple sauce all winter, all spring and part of the summer.

By the way, pumpkin can be done the same way!

This evening I made a run to the store for salad greens and they had beautiful squash of every variety. I bought a nice striped one called "sweet dumpling" which is great for stuffing and baking.

Elaine

Elaine