Weekend challenge

iVillage Member
Weekend challenge
Fri, 09-12-2003 - 8:40am
Go into your pantry, and tell us what the oldest item is, why you havn't used it yet, and if it has an expiration date, has it reached that yet???

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-13-2003 - 10:23am
An unopened package of Kavli crispbread (very thin, crispy, Norwegian rye crackers), no expiration date but I know it's at least from last December because that's the last time I had a party where I would have served them. The package surfaced when my cleaning crew cleaned and re-arranged the shelves. Those things keep forever, so I'll probably eat them.

A partially used box of Bulghur wheat. No expiration date but it has to be from summer a year ago, because that's when I make tabouli, and because I used an entire fresh box this summer. It still smells fresh with no trace of rancid odor, so it's probably ok to use. It also surfaced during the big cleaning.

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-13-2003 - 6:29pm
Oh no! I don't want to reach that deep LOL! Who knows. Probably some sticky rice I bought at an asian market but rice keeps a long time right?
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-14-2003 - 10:29am
My wonderful DW purchased me some flavored creamer for my coffee. Since I'm a "black coffee" type person most of the time, only using the flavored creamers on trips and such...guess she thought I'de like some here at home once in a while. If memory serves me correctly, that means the last trip we took together...one that would give her such an idea....hmmmmmmm...maybe 3 years ago???? Well, no expiration date on the powdered type, so I tried it....Seems OK....tastes good, so I'm using it.

Sorry to have made you think/look at your pantry's so hard. I also found a can of stewed tomato's from last year that my parents gave me...to old, and out it went....just don't take chances with canned tomatos that old.

Mitch......thinking.....maybe I need to check these deeper shelves of the new pantry more often!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-14-2003 - 10:33am
Oh how I love Kavli. To bad I don't have a store close by. My parents used to do a two hour drive to a "swedish" store where they live, and send down some from time to time, but since my step father got so ill a couple of years ago, I don't get the chance to enjoy it any more. Sure bringing up memories of a hard, sharp cracker with lingonberry jam on it.....mouth wattering....

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-14-2003 - 10:35am
I guess, so long as it isn't being eaten by those tiny little black bugs....For some reason, rice does seem to keep a long time compared to most grains.

Mitch

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-14-2003 - 7:51pm
I get mine from Whole Foods Market (used to be Fresh Fields). I love it too and serve it with a sharp cheese spread made from cream cheese with blue cheese and some of that cheddar cheese spread, all whipped together. I like thin radish slices on this, or watercress, or a thin slice of cucumber, and a sprikle of fresh dill. I tried making canapes ahead of time, but the kavli curled up because of the moisture in the cheese! LOL

Elaine

Elaine