How long do you keep jams, pickles etc..

iVillage Member
How long do you keep jams, pickles etc..
Sun, 09-14-2003 - 1:04pm
Hi,

I'm questioning on how long to keep jams, pickles etc in the refrigerator after they've been opened. Obviously if they have an expiration date, I throw it out.

I've got both store bought and home canned that I'm wondering about.

Thanks,

Abbey
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-15-2003 - 7:43am
For some reason, the home made types just don't last as long as those made commercially, but we don't add extra preservatives into what we make at home either. Articles made with vinegar will last a bit longer, ie: pickles, relishes than jams and jellies, made primarily of sugar substances though.

If it smells (not fresh) or begins growing extra things around the tops or on top of what's left, I'm throwing the entire left overs away. I've even had tomato based sauces go bad before I could open them up for the first time.

It's best not to take a chance....if it looks, smells, or tastes off norm, toss away. Food poisoning isn't a very nice thing to mess around with. My family size so far though has been such that I don't get to throw much stuff away. The kids will come home from school or play, and need something to eat before an actual meal is served, and our left overs and left in the jar items get used up quickly once opened here.

Mitch