Funny stories time

iVillage Member
Funny stories time
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 8:58am
Does anyone have any funny (or maybe not so funny) stories about canning, produce work in your kitchens, or a meal that seemed a flop, but went over real well just the same? Share your funny story or anecdote with us in this thread.

Mitch

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 9:08am
Mother's green beans? A few years ago my mother went onto a freezing binge, where she decided to freeze EVERYTHING from the garden, instead of going through the troubles of canning it all. One bag marked "green beans" was actually some chopped leeks....yep, try that in vegetable soup some time. Sure enough, she opened the still frozen bag, and plopped it's contents into the soup along with onions, peas, carrots, potatos, salt, pepper, garlic, and the beef chunks....Not long afterwards, this odd smell started coming from that large pot...what/who did something to my soup????? Since no one else had even attempted to help, all were baffled at the strong onionish smell. Mom was sure she had only added two medium onions to the soup, but this was just way to much odor from just two.....right?

Well, Mom, always the thrifty one decided she'de serve the soup just as it was....No one left the table with breath that others could stand to be around, and there wasn't a bean one in the pot.....looking carefully at what (should have been) in the soup, good ole me figured out the mistake. We did eat it for that meal, but not one had seconds that night.

The morral of this story...don't try to freeze more than one vegetable of each color at the same time!

Mitch

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2003 - 7:03pm
I have before somehow managed to get spaghetti sauce on the ceiling LOL! I make my own and still don't know how it got there. Another time, Thanksgiving, working on the gravy and mixed the flour with some broth (no didn't let it cool or use cool water), shook it up and it exploded all over, cook book and all. Gravy still came out good though.

My funniest story was when I had a friend over to lounge in the pool and pulled out a big bottle of champagne leftover from New Years to make mimosas. Well I opened it and it made a fountain that hit the ceiling LOL. I ran, my friend stood there in disbelief. Half of the bottle was gone! Guess you shouldn't keep champagne in the fridge for 6 months ROFL

~Cheryl~

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 5:02am
Where to begin... There was the bottle of cold duck wine (remember that sparkling rose wine - it used to be famous) that my mother in law decided to put up out of the way on top of the kitchen cabinets on New Year's day. There it sat until the first 90 degree summer day in her un- air conditioned house, when it exploded. There were pink splatters & bits of glass in places you would not believe. Luckily no one was in the room at the time.

I could go on to talk of power outages in the middle of cooking dinner on an electric stove, the can of frozen orange juice that rolled out of the groceries in the trunk of the car and created a mysterious stink one summer, or the 10 pound bag of rice I dropped, from a height, onto the kitchen floor.... you get the idea!

Elaine

Elaine

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 8:58am
Great stories to laugh about later! Come on out lurkers, and post your funny or embarrasing ones with us here too.....we can all enjoy a good belly laugh at the antics of other's fortunate misfortunes.

A four year old who watched the bacon:

Our first farm, first female goat giving birth, and breakfast started by mom.....quick mom to the barn, the baby goat's head is stuck....description of where I thought it was, not necessary...LOL...

I was told to watch the bacon, given a chair to stand on so I could see it, when it started to sizzle, turn fire down to (low) and watch it....

Well, an hour later mother came in, 4 year old on chair, watching charcoal in pan, teary eyed from the smoke and all, but hadn't left his post. Mom couldn't help but laugh. I was so mad that I had ruined the bacon, but mom, in her wisdom told me that we'de share that special bacon with the dogs, and she'de help me get another batch ready for the family. We did such together...this time though, no smoke, and shucks, it wasn't charcoal either...LOL

Mitch ~~~who will forever remember the first of many burnt offerings~~~

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-18-2003 - 6:56pm
OK I remember Mom FORCING me to make jello. I was always in the way in her kitchen so didn't learn much there but I had seen her make it (kind of). I put the jello and water in a tupperware bowl and set it on the electric stove to boil. Well you get the picture. I think I was banned from the kitchen after that. All I needed was some instructions LOL!!!!
Community Leader
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 1:56am
Yeah, I have one Mitch! The Great Memphis Food Disaster...LOL!

One of our city's citizens who has more cash than he needs hosted a banquet at the Mid-South Coliseum before a basketball game. He invited 9,000 people and hired me to cater, preparing my famous (infamous) seafood & sausage gumbo, and red beans & rice. He wanted it all Cajun, and he knew who to call.

I cooked it in the main kitchen at Memphis State University, which had the huge hydraulic boilers and the capacity for such a task. We loaded it all up into professional Rubbermaid containers, locked the lids down, and piled it all onto a truck to transport, maybe 2 miles to the Coliseum.

Just a few blocks off campus, crossing the railroad tracks, the back axel let loose from under the truck, the back doors flew open, and Rubbermaid foodtainers went skittering ALL OVER Southern Ave.! There I was, in front of 9,000 hungry people with plastic cutlery in their hands who were really concerned about eating before tip-off, and no food..."As God is my witness, I will never cater off premises again!"

We called everyone we knew with a station wagon or pickup truck. We got everyone fed, and into the game for tip-off, but it was SOOOOO not pretty!

Now, ya want to hear about the chocolate stain on the carpet in the back of my station wagon after the Methodist Hospital ordered a Peter Paul Mound cake for the nursing staff in Hattiesburg? Let it just suffice to say that cakes need to cool THOROUGHLY before icing, and that nothing gets chocolate icing out of blue car carpet. But it was a huge selling point when I sold the car to the mayor where I currently live, who loved my cooking!

k-roni, the village storyteller

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 2:00am
LOL, I have never made a boo-boo like that, but I will ask...was alcohol involved? Never drink and label!

k-roni

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 2:05am
ROFLMAO, Cheryl, I was about halfway through your tale about the stuff on the ceiling when I said "good grief, this could only be Cheryl" and had to scroll back up to see who posted. The bruise where I fell off my chair laughing won't take long to heal.

k-roni

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 2:12am
Elaine, I invited about 20 people over for dinner one afternoon and we were enjoying the sunset in my backyard, when we noticed the smoke billowing out of the kitchen window...the stove caught fire! The wiring went up in flames! I got the food out ok, but I am very cautious to this day about leaving anything on when I am not standing over it, be it oven, dryer, washer, dishwasher, whatever.

k-roni

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-22-2003 - 2:15am
ROFLMAO! Funny, but fortunate story! You could have been badly hurt!

k-roni

Photobucket

Pages