Spring thunderstorms........

iVillage Member
Spring thunderstorms........
Sun, 02-29-2004 - 1:27pm

We had our first Spring thunderstorm last night, guess Spring weather is near.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 2:46pm

I planted two small beds and a large saucer-shaped pot with yellow and royal pansies, then went out and bought some more, LOL! I also found some little Johnny Jump-ups - so cute. The beds are anchored by some pink snapdragons. Then, the rains hit. Well, at least nothing popped out of the ground! I have yet to transplant several pots of herbs we bought, as DH is too impatient to wait for the seeds to germinate. So, I'll have egg cartons more herbs to deal with in a few weeks.

No sooner did we walk out of the garden shop armed with several grape, raspberry and blueberry plants, I spied some hydrangea. This year, I think I shall have to confine the hydrangea to pots, if they're going to survive, and I do want to plant some to replace the ones I lost last year.

DH bought enough tomato plants to feed the entire neighborhood. He doesn't seem to understand that one or two yield enough to last us an entire season and then some, LOL!

When I went out to get the newspaper early in the morning, two deer ran out of my yard and stopped across the street. They were probably nibbling on one of our young trees, but they were so pretty to see. A squirrel or something scrambled under the hedge along our front porch; it had raided the bag of sunflower seeds, probably too impatient to wait for the human creature to fill the bird feeder, LOL! I get such a kick out of watching the squirrels trying to get into that feeder.

And my daffodils are still blooming. Spring will be here, soon!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2004 - 7:55am

OUCH, my aiching back!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2004 - 2:08pm

I never thought about growng hydrangeas in pots!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2004 - 2:14pm

Here's a nice warm heating pad for your poor back.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2004 - 2:27pm

We have our elephant ears where they can be "watered" by the condensation runoff from the air conditioner, and they love it! They'll grow to about 8 feet tall. Every Spring, I just go dig up the tubers and separate them to spread them out a bit.

Hydrangea should survive the winter. One of my fondest memories of my childhood in Japan is of our hydrangeas, and it gets darned frigid, there! LOL!