Memorial Day Weekend

iVillage Member
Memorial Day Weekend
Thu, 05-27-2004 - 8:34am
What will you be serving?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2004 - 9:02am

Here, here! I was once told by a foreign student studying at my university that Americans glorify death because we pay homage to our fallen and veteran soldiers in massive displays on certain holidays (Veteran's Day, Memorial Day) and military funerals. Well, just take a wild guess where that student was from? Does the term 'middle east' mean anything to you? LOL

Well, this weekend will be wild and woolly, I imagine, as windy, and possibly stormy, weather threatens. However, DH will fire up his massive gas grill that I so carefully cleaned and prepared for him. The neighbors are planning to have us over for another joint family/friends feast (they like us to cook because we're better at it, and they have a pool, LOL) and I will have 3 days to finish a room and start on the garage.

Then, because our wedding anniversary follows a few days later and DH will not be here, he and I are going to a private wine tasting event hosted by a Mondavi rep, with a full gourmet meal. I conferred with the curriculum designer at the International Sommelier Guild who said that Mondavi is the only Californian winery he respects for how they approach the "youth" of American wines. OK, is that snobbery, or what, LOL!

So, that's what is planned for our weekend.

Congratulations to your 5th grader, have a great family gathering and thank you for having served our country...and in the 'middle east,' no less!

It is far more enjoyable to have

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2004 - 8:10pm

I salute you Mitch!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2004 - 3:38pm

P.S. This one's for you!

It is far more enjoyable to have

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2004 - 7:49am

I've decided not to do the picnic/barbeque thing this year - I'm going to make some things ahead that can be heated and served later or served cold whenever anyone wants something.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2004 - 7:51am

"the youth of American wines"

Elaine