How do you prepare for severe weather

iVillage Member
How do you prepare for severe weather
Wed, 06-02-2004 - 11:11am

OK....a standard type front is predicted to come through.....within 2 hours of it hitting though, it becomes severe, and by it's end a twister has hit your area....no power, right at dinner time, and lasting throughout the entire night.

Were you prepared with things that can be quickly made up from your pantry so you don't have to open your refrigerator or freezer?

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2004 - 9:35pm

I keep flashlights in convenient places and when I hear a severe weather warning I get out my tap lights, put in batteries and place them around the apartment.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2004 - 9:29am
I keep batteries and flashlights and lots of candles handy, we have a couple of battery powered camping lanterns, and I stock up on plenty of charcoal and lighter fluid for my grill,as well as stocking a couple cases of bottled water specifically for power outages (we were part of the big blackout last year and didn't have power for two days so I learned my lesson on keeping water and flashlight batteries then). I have a set of cast iron cookware that can be used for outdoor cooking on the grill (although I'd like to get a small Coleman stove at the end of this season when they go on sale). I regularly stock all kinds of pantry items that we can make emergency meals from (tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tuna, peanut butter, jams & preserves, canned fruits & some canned veggies, pastas, & rices) as well as juices, & cold cereals. During the power outage last year I cooked everything out on our charcoal grill, including spaghetti with marinara sauce and garlic toast!!
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2004 - 12:00pm
Welcome ohpioneer1806!