Readymade

iVillage Member
Readymade
Sun, 08-29-2004 - 10:16am
I often do food from the base , i make my own pasta sauce , my own dough and so one.

I have tins at home in my apntry but it is chopped tomtatoes, sweet corn, tomatopure and tuna so i can make alots of differnt dinner. In my freazer i chikenbreast, sausage, and ground beef and porkchopps, no premade meatballs , no premade hamburges cause I think they doesn't taste as good as homemade. I bought waffels for the toaster , but it was cheaper to make with flour, water and eggs and it tatsed better.

So I just wondered :

How many readymade product do you use at home?

And do you really need it?

Hugs FruTrygg

iVillage Member
In reply to: frutrygg
Sun, 09-05-2004 - 10:46pm
Hi there!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2004 - 7:39am

The only packaged foods I have on hand are pudding mix, Mrs. Bird's Custard Powder, and a packet of cornbread mix I got because it was on sale so cheap I couldn't resist.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2004 - 12:13pm
You are so right!
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2004 - 9:38am
How many readymade product do you use at home?

And do you really need it?

Very few. I figure if I can buy it readymade I can probably make it myself at home for cheaper and have it taste better and avoid all the bad stuff like preservatives and transfats and large amounts of sodium and sugar you find in readymade items.

For example: Frozen waffles. When I make my own waffles for a weekend breakfast I double the amount of batter and make twice as many on purpose, then take the planned overs and break them into quarters and freeze them in individual baggies for zapping in the toaster. I do the same with pancakes and then we zap them in the microwave. I also make up and freeze individual size portions of soups, spaghetti, casseroles, etc. that I make for dinner. And my kids love things like bagel bites and hot pockets like Cheryl's do but I make my own versions for the kids and freeze them in individual baggies for reheating. (for the bagel bites I top bagels with sauce, cheese & pepperoni and then freeze on baking sheets then wrap tightly in plastic wrap to keep the toppings from falling off and then place in baggies). Hot pockets are simple to make if you have an electric sandwich maker, then they can just be cooled down and popped into baggie for freezing. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to make up a huge batch of either of these items.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2004 - 7:54pm

What a wonderful idea to make up all those extras and the bagel bites to freeze.