I want hot chocolate!

iVillage Member
I want hot chocolate!
Wed, 10-27-2004 - 8:06pm
The weather is wet and cool and it really makes me want a good cup of hot chocolate.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2004 - 5:49pm
I do both white, real dark and sweet chocolate.

You need 2 cups of milk in saucepan heat just boiling point , don't let it boil.

Take off heat and add the the chocolate.

For chocolate you take a good white, milk or dark chocolate bar and add some pieces into the warm milk an stire until melted. Taste how many pieces are needed cause chocolate is so diffrent between Sweden and U.s.

I use for dark chocolate 80% for real dark none sweeten , pick me up chocolate in the morning, i add a pinch of salt to help against the bitterness.

It really good.

Hugs fru Trygg

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-03-2004 - 12:42pm
Well how simple is that!
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-04-2004 - 12:12pm
I like Hot chocolate too, hot spiced cider and/or a cup of seasoned chocken broth is good too. Just what the doctor ordered for those chilly nights.

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-11-2004 - 11:04pm
My fav, I take it camping with me hence all the powders...is a coffee drink that contains folgers crystals (SuperWalmart also has an instant Arabica, yummy.) powdered whole milk (Nestle Nido brand, you find it with the Mexican stuff at SuperWM) and flavored creamer (my fav is hazelnut) and then sweetner of choice. Simply dump together in a big bowl and stir with a whisk (make sure bowl and whisk are BONE dry.) and then store in an air tight container for an at home treat that is faster and cheaper than going around the corner to Starbucks, and JUST as good.

I like the powders because as I said, I take it camping with me...and you would enjoy the convenience of making your own mix and having it waiting for you. Of course, you can also use fresh cream or milk and brewed coffee if you want a souped up treat.

There are no amounts listed for finished mix or ingredients because your personal preference will dictate that...I still pour and taste as I go along and you will discover what you like. I personally make mine pretty creamy and like a good strong coffee so I use about 1/3 cup mix per use, it's a pretty tall coffee.

You can also add things like cinnamon, prepared cocoa mix or Quik, etc for different flavors. I bet Carnation instant breakfast, OR Slimfast, OR Ovaltine would be great for a morning vitamin drink, imagine good for you and a shot of caffeine all in one step!

If you like cold coffee, it is best to use a tiny bit of warm water to dissolve all the ingredients and then top off with cold water and/or ice.

----------------------End of post, beginning of signature-------------------- Struggle will be inevitable,
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-11-2004 - 11:14pm
You can make the good stuff with simple ingredients too.

Start with a cup of milk, spike it with half and half or cream if you like, then toss in a few chunks of Hershey bar. Microwave or heat gently on the stove and stir.

I'm sure you could keep a stash of Hershey nuggets or kisses or similar bitesized candies (Popables) for different variations of flavor like caramel and white chocolate. They also make Swoops now, a Pringles looking slice of candy flavored like York, Reeses and Hershey bar, These do not have the actual ingredients like coconut and peanut butter, etc (candy bar ingredients) that would likely throw off the texture of a drink but they do have the different flavors. No chunks in my cocoa, thanks! You could probably also use any variety of flavored baking chips...peanut butter, heath, cinnamon, white choc, milk choc.

Don't forget the marshmellows!

----------------------End of post, beginning of signature-------------------- Struggle will be inevitable,
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-12-2004 - 7:50pm
We love to camp and that is a great idea!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-12-2004 - 7:55pm
I ordered some disc shaped mexican chocolate to put into warmed milk.