Everyday cleaning products.....

iVillage Member
Everyday cleaning products.....
Mon, 11-01-2004 - 8:16pm

Do you know that you can make great cleaning products from things right in your pantry?

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2004 - 2:16pm
white vinegar can be used to clean most anything and it does a good job on windows.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-03-2004 - 12:44pm
Yes vinegar is great on windows and I even add it to my laundry sometimes.....really gets the odors out!
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-11-2004 - 11:41pm
Of course, baking soda is a great one. It is not only a good deodorizer in laundry and elsewhere, you can scour with it too, nice gentle abrasive. Try it in the microwave for splatters and odors without leaving a cleaning scent behind to tarnish your food.

You can make a furniture polish by mixing lemon juice and olive oil.

Not a pantry item but you can use dibs and dabs of shampoo for anything that requires a bubble. Those little bits in big old bottles drive me nuts so I have tried using it for just about everything, esp if it wasn't the miracle I had hoped for my hair. You can use it for dishes, hand soap, bubble bath, shaving lotion (mix with the matching icky conditioner or some hand lotion) body wash, wash the dog with it, hand washable laundry, car soap, whatever. To get it gone, I mean, probably not the best use of the product, you wouldn't BUY shampoo to do all those jobs.

You can or get some stains with hydrogen peroxide.

I know about all these solutions, have tried them all, in addition to making my own cleaning wipes and disinfectants using essential oils. I always end up disappointed. To me, there is a holy trinity of cleaners. Windex is for any glass or metal or bathroom surface, it disinfects too. Murphy is for anything that needs to be dusted or walls etc. I can conjure the smell of that when I think about Spring Cleaning. And Pine Sol is for floors and heavy duty disinfecting. They are all wonderful and versatile, and you can make your own wipes out of Pinesol and Windex to get ready for touchups, simply use select a size paper towels and stack in a flat rectangular rubber made container, then pour a dilute solution over it. Store a few around the house. Round it out with some bleach, baking soda, Febreeze, and hand soap and I have pretty much a complete cleaning closet. Don't forget that vac with all the attachments, it beats all heck out of dusting with a rag.

I applaud ANY cleaning idea that does NOT involve Swiffer or ready made wipes or these stupid battery operated or throwaway devices. They are insulting to me! I think they are horribly overpriced and way below par as far as effectiveness...and all convenience products are overpackaged which is not too responsible IMHO. You can have your convenience by making sprays and wipes out of concentrated cleaners or pantry items ahead of time, making large amounts at a time is efficient and then they are ready for quick tasks whenever you are.

----------------------End of post, beginning of signature-------------------- Struggle will be inevitable,
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-12-2004 - 7:59pm

You have some really good ideas there!