Roast it.....

Community Leader
Roast it.....
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 7:55pm

I am a good cook. Except for roasts....

Once in a while one will come out so good but most of the time not...

I put one in the electric frypan this afternoon...I have done this before...for the 2 of us I just don't want to use the big oven and this roast needed more space than the toaster oven....

Anyway I didn't watch it close enough so it got really cooked on one side....lol.....crunchy...the saving part of all this is that when I screw up a roast it makes the best soup....lol....

My DMIL used to cook for men on the farm. She would fix, sometimes 2 huge pork roasts. No matter how she did it the roasts came out so good....but her gravy was to die for. There were times when I wished I could just have mashed taters and her gravy.....or just drink it, it was that good....

With 5 kids gravy wasn't that great here.. I had to make enough to go around so it was always flat tasting....except for my milk gravy......My whole family likes that...

But now a days we have to cut the meat and the gravy and it isn't as much fun. We eat a lot of fresh veggies and frozen ones as far as that goes.....

But we both love tomatoes....and we have a Hydroponic tomato and English cucumbers most of the year and they should be ready about the middle of March....I can't wait.....there are 3 kinds of tomatoes.....the best are the ones you grow yourself or get fresh in the summer and fall.......then comes the hydroponic ones and then at the bottom of the list are store tomatoes.....they are sometimes crunchy.....and have no flavor at all......we only have to put up with that for about 2 months of the year....thank Heaven......

iVillage Member
In reply to: emty_nstr
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 9:45pm

You just need to re-tool.

hunk 'o, hunk 'o burnin' heartburn!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 9:52pm

You have so much good stuff going on with your other ingredients, and I love that you have room to do the hydroponics.

Community Leader
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 11:59pm

Oh no I don't do hydroponics the plant is just 20 miles away in the town that we do most of our business in anyway....they supply a lot of place....all I get grown anymore is tomatoes and herbs at the camper...and they come in handy too...lol

Well, the roast thing.. the only way I will used a slow cooker is if I start the roast on the stovetop....otherwise I don't like slow cookers..Maybe if I got a new one but the one I got has a ceramic pot in it that is really thick and it is a slooow cooker.

My toaster oven isn't one of those that the door tilts forward like the old ones mine is a pretty good little oven. I do almost everything in there. The skillet I know is not for roasting but once in a while they come out fine in there. I know this time I had it turned to high...

I just started to use my big oven for storing my pans and hate unloading it to use it...I tried but the temp. was never right in there. I even baked my cake in my microwave after the kids were gone. They were not that bad....I make the best meatloaf in the microwave...

It is just roasts mainly beef roasts that get me...

Tonight I cut up my roast for stew and saved the drippings so I will have a good stew...just not roast and mashed potatoes...LOL.....

My favorite thing used to be when I went out for lunch was a hot beef sandwich....now even the cafe's have awful beef roast most times very tough...I think they buy them off a truck or something and no one makes good gravy anymore. Other people sometimes crave sweets all I want is some good mashed potatoes and good beef gravy.....LOL..

BTW now that I make gravy once in a while for the 2 of us it tastes a lot better than to make it for 7....

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 5:24pm

I had to grin when I read about storing your pans
in the oven.

My mother-in-law has always stored hers there, and
one time I preheated the oven without checking first.
When the bacon fat in the pans started filling the
air with smoke, it was a pain taking out all the hot
pans and finding places to put them where they wouldn't
scorch the countertop. At her house I always remember
to check.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket
Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">
organic tag created by Erin
(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 8:08pm

My ex went crazy when we got a condo with a gas stove, OH SO MUCH BETTER than those crappy electric stoves in the South (there's a reason for that), and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....He was the EXPERT on gas stoves!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 8:48am

Your story about your

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 11:17pm

OMG, that is SOOOO FUNNY!

iVillage Member