Need help planning meals

iVillage Member
Need help planning meals
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 6:30pm

And not just dinner. My goal is to eventually plan out b-fast, lunch, and dinner, plus two snacks. For me and Quinn at least, since my mom and DH generally work during the day. I have been playing around with http://www.mypyramid.gov/ and the meal planner they have. Well, its not a very good meal planner in my opinion, because it doesn't even give any kind of starting point. But, according to that, I should be getting 2,200 calories, and I know I'm not anywhere near that. I have discovered that part of my problem with eating enough is "What do I want for..." and I usually don't have a clue. But if I have it planned out, then there isn't that and even if I don't feel like what I'm "supposed" to make, I'd have other options from other planned meals. I have read some (and used) of the advice you gave to others who asked this, and I've got a method to plan dinners, but I'm stuck on b-fast, lunches, and snacks. For some reason if I were to sit down and try to think of things to have for any of those, I would draw a blank, I don't know why, but that is what happens.

Any ideas appreciated, TIA.

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 3:59am

I had to plan meals and snacks for my diabetic brother before most kids knew where their Mom kept the Rice Krispies.

hunk 'o, hunk 'o burnin' heartburn!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 11:16am

I've also been thinking of doing it as 4 smaller meals, rather than 3 big ones. A big reason I am thinking this way is I often show symptoms of being hypoglycemic, but I have yet to be tested to have proof. Also a soon to be 1 year old (OMG, that is the first time I've actually said it that way, its scary) that has a little tummy will need to eat more often.

DH doesn't understand how I can eat a piece of pizza cold the next morning, so I will go "out of the box" for b-fast as well on occasion. And I have put a couple eggs into a microwave safe (square) bowl, nuked them while some bread was toasting and had a "fried egg" sandwich for b-fast. With cheese, of course.

Part of my plan is to start small, one week at a time, then two, then 3, then a full month. After I get to a month, I'll go from there. I once saw a news report on a woman who had her family's dinners planned for a whole YEAR in advance. But I do intend, once I get to a full month, to have an experiment day/night where I try something I have never made before. Keep it new, and keep adding to recipe book :)

That was enough to at least make me realize that I just need to treat b-fast and lunch like dinner. Thank you, Karen. We will help me figure this out :-P

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 3:08pm

I messef up that link for Calorie Count.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 4:14pm

Yeah, but I had smarts, I deleted the word "advertise" and Voila! found the right site :)

Snacks aren't junk food to me, they are celery with peanut butter, an apple, a banana, air popped popcorn, a hard-boiled egg, carrots dipped in ranch dressing, those kinds of things. Don't get me wrong, I will have the random ice cream sandwich or what not, but its not the be-all end-all of my snacking.

I am definitely going to have to get creative with leftovers, at least those that don't become lunch :) Right now that is a common use for any leftovers.

I was playing a bit earlier, and realized that I need to write down the dinners I already know and love and start from there.

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 4:29pm

I agree about the celery and peanut butter being a mini-meal, and I think there is a place for that icer cream sammich!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 5:44pm

Off the top of my head, no. But let me keep it in my mind for a couple days, and I might. I will also bring it up with my mom to see if she has any ideas.

Oh, oh, wait, options for number of meals VS the traditional 3 meal a day bit. See, I turn away and stare at DH's video game, let my mind wander and it comes up with stuff ;P

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 12:02pm

ROFLMAO, the video game inspiration! I get it too, when the zombies are eating the plants...

Photobucket

July

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 1:59pm
You play Plants Vs. Zombies as well? I only have the demo, but my goodness is it addicting :) I would like to get the full version, but we really don't have any discretionary money right now. When we get a better handle on where we are at, I plan on working in play money for DH and I each week.
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 9:32pm

You need a friend like mine, who pirates software!