QOTW: My roast has a rainbow???

iVillage Member
QOTW: My roast has a rainbow???
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 1:33pm

I get a lot of cooking questions from a lot of places, and this weekend I had a friend who was set upon roast beef perfection.

He seasoned his roast and did nothing in particular fancy to it. When he took it from the oven, he let it rest, and said it was heavenly, carved for dinner. Then he went to slice the remaining roast...and was alarmed by the shimmering rainbow on the sliced meat!

Have you encountered that, or seen it in the deli? It is perfectly safe, and it actually indicates that you REALLY did the roast RIGHT. The rainbow is a refraction of light on the proteins of the meat, and is not any indication of spoilage.

I thought it was a great question, and my friend was delighted to know that he HAD actually created roast beef perfection. Now I want to try...LOL!

Photobucket

July

hunk 'o, hunk 'o burnin' heartburn!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 2:04pm
Haven't seen it in any of mine, but I have been having some difficulty finding the perfect way to cook my roasts. I have a bad tendency to end up with it over-done on the bottom and not done on top when I do it on the stove top. I haven't tried it in a crock pot yet, or actually in the oven. So I am still experimenting.
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 9:19pm

Everone has their own method for a great roast.

hunk 'o, hunk 'o burnin' heartburn!