Chicken Cordon Blue......My way

iVillage Member
Chicken Cordon Blue......My way
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 10:19am
Enough boneless chicken breasts for one per person.

Two slices of smoked deli ham per chicken breast.

One slice of Provolone cheese per breast.

Two slices of Swiss cheese per breast. (one more per breast if your family likes theirs cheesier)

(cheating) One box of chicken flavored stuffing mix.

One can of cream of mushroom (cream of chicken) soup...I preffer the mushroom, but will substitute if I'm out of it.

Chicken seasonings.....I use a pre mixed blend...to taste.

Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Start out by butterflying each breast while getting the stuffing mix water, butter, and such done.....You will get that finished by the time you are ready for it.

Next, lay onto each opened breast, the ham, provolone, then swiss cheeses, and fold together to create a pocket. Do all breasts as such, then using a fork, place enough stuffing into that pocket of fill it, placing them into a baking pan...for my family this is a 9 by 13 inch cake pan. Once all breasts are in the pan, use the remaining stuffing to fill between the hollows left between the assembled breasts, then cover with the soup. Don't use any water in the soup, as it will pick up the moisture from the cooking. Push the soup mixture into and around the hollow areas, yet leaving a bit on top of the chicken. Season to taste. Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Now, if your family likes things a bit more cheesy, as mine does, I pull the meal out of the oven, remove the cover, and place a piece of swiss cheese over each breast, returning to the oven for 10 more minutes uncovered.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, using a spatula, remove one breast per portion, then scoop a bit of the left over stuffing/cheese/soup over the portion. Serve with your favorite green vegetable for an eye catching, stomach filling meal.