I played a great board game last night

iVillage Member
I played a great board game last night
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:27am
I've been thinking about it a lot since. My bf told me I'd love it - he was right. sigh. lol (don't you hate it when they are right...). It's called *Settlers of Catan*. It's kind of a strategy game but with a lot of chance involved. You have to build roads, towns and cities. It's kind of similar to Risk but much, much easier. And it doens't take nearly as long to play. And a really neat aspect of it is that the board changes every single time you play. I just learned how to play it last night and I got a pretty good grasp on it. You can be involved in every turn (not just yours) and there is a lot of trading of commodities with other players (in fact you pretty much *have* to trade - and if they want something bad enough you can pretty much bleed them dry for it, not that I'd ever do anything like that...). I really recommend it for adults and teens (too many pieces for young kids). There is no war or attacking or battles or any of that stuff - it's trade, commodites and building. There are also several expansion packs available too (I haven't tried them but my bf and his friends love them).

I checked it out on amazon and read the reviews - there were several teachers who gave it high recommendations. If you are looking for something new I really suggest you check it out (and how often do I really recommend things???).

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:15pm
I just read the reviews over at Amazon ~ That sounds like a really neat little game. I usually buy a number of games for "Family Game Night" as wedding gifts ~ I think I'll add this to the list that we usually give.

I thought the Seafarers of Catan sounded really cool, too. I think I'll order it today on your recommendation and check it out. Thanks Karen

We're big game geeks. K

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:26pm
PS. The board game not the card game right? K
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:42pm
Exactly - the board game. :)

Somehow I'm not surprised that you guys are game geeks. Seems like a very you family type activity.

I really, really enjoyed it yesterday. I was kind of sad when it was over. I hope you guys enjoy it. :)