Basil?

iVillage Member
Basil?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 1:05pm
I am growing some basil and trying to keep it clipped and from going to seed. I was hoping to find some quick and easy recipes to use fresh basil. I have been using it with cherry tomatoes and a bit of olive oil and vinegar but wondered what other ideas people had.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: susanb1869
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:34pm
You can also dry it on screens and save it in a jar.

Here is an easy pesto:

2 cups basil leaves

1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts

some salt

1/3 cup extra volive oil

2 cloves garlic

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Put in a blender or food processor until it is well blended. Mix with hot pasta.

If you like to make bread put some of it in your favorite recipe with some sun dried tomatoes, garlic and cheese. And another is to add it to pasta if you ever make that ~ it's really pretty.

Spinach and Basil Salad

6 heaping cups fresh spinach leaves (a small bunch)

1 heaping cup fresh chopped basil

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup pine nuts

3-4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Salt and a generous grinding of fresh black pepper to taste

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Tear apart the spinach leaves and toss together in a large salad bowl with the chopped basil.

Over medium heat, warm the oil in a small skillet. Add the pine nuts and sauté 3-4 minutes until the nuts begin to brown slightly. Add the garlic when nuts are almost finished. Add vinegar and lemon juice just to warm through. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Toss the spinach and basil with desired amount of the warm dressing. Sprinkle with freshly-grated Parmesan and serve immediately.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:55pm
I'm too lazy to log in with my hat but I have a great recipe at home for a dip/spread that used pesto...it's ssssssoooooooooo yummy. I'll post it this weekend (if I forget someone remind me...).
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 4:25pm
Hey that salad sounds really good and perfect! Thank you.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 4:27pm
Don't forget! I am a dip addict and love pesto!
Community Leader
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:45pm
Yu can only eat so much basil before you want something else and your plant will still be producing; you may get overloaded. Try sticking some in some vinegar for making a flavorful salad dressing in months to come. Get directions so you do not get anything going bad on ya, do a search on making flavored vinegars. There are a few rules. i believe village even has info in their recipe search or on the gifts in a jar webpage that explains how to flavor a vinegar and not get moldy mush in it. I like cooking potatoes with herbed vinegars, WOW! The potatoes just suck up every ounce of flavor, and the vinegar gives the taters a real interesting twist! you bake the taters (I use Yukon Golds or waxy reds cut chunky with skins on) in a covered Corningware pot with the vinegar and some butter. Adding some fresh herbs might even kick it up a notch!

k-roni

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 8:06am
I am growing basil too!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 9:36am
Great idea Roni! Hmmmm...maybe we should play a game - how many Karen's can we get to respond to one post??? lol

Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 9:41am
Oh my! The board goddess has come to our kitchen! ;-)

Looks like we have a basil party going on! Glad you stopped by. Check out the pesto dip/spread I posted (well, going to post right after this...). It has *cheese* in it...

;-)

Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 9:47am
The pesto recipe is post down in the recipe collection folder. It's technically a spread but I've used it as a dip before too. Its good no matter how you eat it!
Community Leader
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 11:12am
Okey there, I have to respond too. I currently have six little basil plants growing in a row. Right now, that is all that I did sow. I really can't grow basil outside and indoors they get afflicted with spider mites. I try spraying and spraying but to no avail! Those poor little plants are so frail!

Anyways....my plants are still tiny. Not growing too very fast. I think I may give them a tiny boost of fertilizer this day. Linda T.

Photobucket

Pages