Hamburger Pie?

iVillage Member
Hamburger Pie?
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 12:28pm
I've been thinking about making a hamburger pie tonight. I've looked at some recipes but haven't found anything that's quite what I want yet. I was thinking of maybe adding some italian saugage to it, some diced potatoes (like they do in some forms of tourtiere). I'm not sure if I want to put in tomato sauce or not... I would add peppers but I don't seem to have any. Maybe a bit of broccoli (simply because I have some...). And of course onions. Spice it up with garlic and maybe steak spice...

The standard cooking time seems to be 350F for 30 minutes (browing the meat before hand of course).

What do you think? Any suggestions? I'm low on veggies at the moment...

Karen

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_kballu
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 1:59pm
You were doing good until you said "onions".
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:46pm
I just use the one on the Bisquick box-the one with cheese and some egg and browned meat. Looks kinda like a quiche after it bakes but is really quite good!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:17am
lol. I grew up in a place where it's called meat pies too. They are nothing compared to tourtiere. With tourtiere the meat is barely and them simmered with potatoes for several hours. I've also seen recipes where the potatoes have to be soaked overnight and then the meat is simmered in the potato water. Then after that you constuct the pastries. Drain the meat and then place in pastries and then bake. It's served with either tomato relish or ketchup, and other pickled items. It's generally more labour intensive but oh so worth every bite. I almost tried making one this year but I was having a friend over for dinner who is Muslim so I stuck to turkey.

I posted a recipe back in the archives for a tourtiere. You should be able to get it by searching if you are ever feeling REALLY ambitious. lol (Although they do freeze really well...).

My mother makes turkey pot pies! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. She makes them in the tart sizes pie plates - perfect for a serving. My exBIL used to get up in the middle of the night and throw one in the oven for a midnight snack. Oh the things I would make if I had a full sized freezer...

And I didn't do anything...I'm completely innocent. lol ;-)

Karen

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 9:28am
Karen, I live in Ohio ~ we call it Meat Pie. lol

Never could we have so lovely a name as 'tourtiere.'

Do you have her recipe? Is the most time consuming thing the pastry? I remember my grandma made it but she used meat like brains and kidneys (blech). I love old fashioned turkey pot pies ~ so delicious. I have a really good recipe from an old country cookbook that is killer.

Uh,oh you are doing it to me again. The pot pie wheels are turning! I meant to have a salad and cup of soup at Bob E's last night, but couldn't turn down the Sunshine coagulation sausage mishmash with cheese...

;)K

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 6:41pm
lol. Looks like I won't be having it tonight since I checked in the freezer and I only have 2 hamburger patties (I could have swore I had more...maybe the freezer faerie ate them...). So looks like I'll still be browing the burgers (but I'll crumble them) and throw in some onion and cook some taters on the side.

Have you ever had tourtiere? I'm always so tempted to make it but it's soooo labour intensive. But sssoooooooooo yummy. My ex's mother used to make some and pass it along our way. Mmmmmmmmmm. Her chicken pot pie was pretty good too (not as good as my mother's but definately decent...).

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:39pm
I love that hamburger+potaotes+onions combo you are making ~ What you are putting together really sounds awesome.

We're eating at Bob's tonight (Bob Evans) and they have a similar thing, but they put it into a bowl that has been layered with an omelette. So in the bowl goes: A layer of flat scrambled egg (best description I have), a layer of sausage, hashbrowns (those big chunks) with onion, and I think it is topped with sausage gravy and cheese, then baked. Amazing thing is it very low in fat and cholesterol and only has about 50 calories a serving.....

haha((((APRIL FOOLS)))) again....