Easter and Ham

iVillage Member
Easter and Ham
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 11:17am
Someone posted a Ham recipe which got me thinking about Easter and what I'll cook. Inlaws are coming so I need to get on this. I'm never really sure what KIND of ham to buy - anyone have any pointers or guidelines? The last ham I bought was already seasoned, etc and it was WAY too salty. I guess I'd like to do some sort of glazed ham (maybe even use the recipe posted) but want to be sure I buy the "right" ham. Any help? Also, what are some other traditional Easter dishes to go with this ham?
iVillage Member
In reply to: lenox99
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 1:17pm
Hi! I can't help you with the ham type ( I am sending DH to get a honeybaked ham and a turkey breast). But I thought I would share the rest of my Easter menu with you to see if it gives you any ideas. I am having 8 adults (several of whom are VERY picky) and 2 toddlers (one of whom is also very picky), thus the wide range of offerings, hopefully everyone will find SOMEthing they can eat. And since *I* am hosting this year, we *will* have some vegetables!! (usually my in laws host and the only vegetable they have is celery on the relish tray...)

Relish Tray with Dip

Ham and/or Turkey

Butterflake Rolls

Cheezy Potatoes

Orange jello with mandarin (sp?) oranges in a bunny mold (for the kids)

Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan

Honey-Orange Glazed Carrots (in the crockpot)

Assorted Desserts (the in-laws are bringing these, so who knows what we'll end up with ;-)

Let me know if you want any of the recipes, I can certainly post any/all of them!

Take care,

Hillary (first-time poster!)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 3:18pm
Hi, I really don't pay much attention to what kind of ham I buy. The biggest decision for me is bone in or bone out. What I do though, is before baking the ham I boil/steam it. I basically put it in a big pot filled partway full with water and let it boil for a while. This basially cooks the ham but it also takes out a lot of the salt. Then I take it out glaze it and put it in the oven. If you want you can boil it in advance. You can glaze it or whatever. Just be careful that you don't boil it too long or it will literally fall to pieces when you take it out of the pot (although if this happens it's a great oppurtunity to trim off the fat...). I also know people who have let it sit over night in apple juice and then basted with with gingerale while cooking. It did help cut down the saltiness as well.

Good luck.

Karen

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 5:33pm
Thanks for the menu - you are going to be BUSY! Wow - they should be impressed. The jello is really a good idea and should make the kids happy - especially in the bunny mold. Where does one get a bunny mold? I might have to try that! Also, the carrots - have you tried the recipe? I might like that, especially since it's done in the crockpot. And, finally, can you tell me about your Cheezy potatoes? Thanks for the ideas! Jill
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 6:15pm
Hi there! I actually found my bunny mold at the thrift store for 50 cents :-) Before I found that I was planning on doing the Jello eggs (you can find those molds at the grocery store this time of year). I haven't tried the carrots recipe yet but I wanted something for the crock pot to free up the oven -- it's pretty basic so hopefully it will turn out OK :-) The cheezy potatoes are a tradition with my in laws, it's the only potato (other than plain mashed or baked) they will eat. It's cubed hash browns and cheese, basically... it is pretty yummy. When I get a chance I will post the recipes down below.

Take care,

Hillary