Hey all you Rachael Ray fans............

iVillage Member
Hey all you Rachael Ray fans............
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 7:46pm
have any of you tried her trick of pounding a jar upside down to loosen it up in order to open it? I gave this a try with a jar of pickles I just could not get open - it worked like a charm! Some times you can pick up the neatest tricks on those cooking shows!

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:49pm
That a girl Daisy! I bet if you stick thru to the end of a whole Iron Chef show you will get hooked! I do agree on some of the things they have to cook with, BUT you should stick around to the end when you get to see the dishes they come up with! Sometimes it is just amazing - not that I would be tempted to try any of them.

I also agree with you about the Bachelor,Married by America and Big Brother - just to studpid for me. Also you can toss in Temptation Island. I do enjoy "Blind Date" but not very often I really like Star Search - American Island and Survivor.

Sandy

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:46pm
Yeah, it's called breaking the seal. The indent in the bottom is where your supposed to pound and the button on the lid will pop up. Been doing it since I was a kid. Works every time.

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:21pm
Well... alright... i will give it a whirl! I'll let you know what happens... lol. I do like reality shows but I do draw the line at the Married in America one. I don't care for Big Brother either... some of them are just going way too far.

My favorite is Survivor by far. My 2nd favorite is The Mole and then the Amazing Race. I don't care for the Bachelor type shows, I think marriage is too serious a thing to be having a contest for.

Hope you have a great week-end!

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:15pm
I like Alton Brown too! And I love how he shows you exactly why things happen and how they happen and what else happens when that happens.. LOL. He is very informative even if he is a little wacky!

Okay.. you two have talked me in to watching a few Iron Chefs. I guess the reason I really didn't care for it is because the few times I did watch some of it they were cooking some disgusting thing like a huge squid or octopus and it felt like i was watching a COOKING WITH GODZILLA movie or something cuz the words i was hearing was different than what they were saying! LOL

I would have loved to see Bobby Flay and/or William Shatner, I bet that was good!

Thanks for the info... i will go subject myself for a few episodes and see what happens.. lol.

*** Daisy ****

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:42pm
I agree, just watch one episode of Iron Chef all the way through! You could almost have an Iron Chef drinking party "Everytime chairman Kaga intones 'If memory serves me right...' everyone drink!"--like a "Hi, Bob!" party!

Before my area cable company offered Food TV I visited my parents one Thanksgiving, and they do get Food TV. The next day there was an Iron Chef Sick of Turkey Marathon all day, I watched 3 in a row! They even showed one American version with William Shatner as the host-he was a riot, almost as overly dramatic as Chairman Kaga.

I love Rachel Ray too-I think that every show on food TV has one tip or trick that you can pick up on-hers has many! I like scrambled eggs on tortillas, she had a show where she puts the tortilla right on the egg as it cooks, and it binds--an egg wrap! Her Israel spice-i mixed some up and it was good. I forgot the ratios though!

I also like Good Eats with Elton Brown (?), he actually takes one food or type of food and gives a complete lesson on it. Interesting.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 7:27pm
Daisy -

You have just got to watch Iron Chef! I know you love all the reality TV shows - this one is just such a "Hoot" once you get into it! I love it especially when Bobby Flay is up against one of the Iron Chefs!

Sandy

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:25am
Hi Sandy... I haven't ever tried it but you're right... you DO learn the best things on cooking shows! I love them... and I watch almost all of them except for Iron Chef... for some reason I just can't get into that one.

I have one of those "JAR POPS"... those red things that loosen the lid until it pops and releases the vacuum. I used to use a butter knife before I got that. It works like a charm too but I'm glad to know that this pounding works just in case I ever lose my jar pop! LOL

Thanks for the info! This is the stuff I love to read & share.

*** Daisy ***