Good Friday, no meat what to eat? *m*

iVillage Member
Good Friday, no meat what to eat? *m*
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 12:55am
haha i just realized how cute that rhymed :D

well, i am making beef stew for DS and DH. My family being catholic growing up we never ate meat on GF, my DH doesnt understand that but o well.

i believe every year i've eaten cheese pizza LOL i think its time for a change. i dont eat seafood although grandparents sort of made us when we were younger.

anyone have some ideas for me? Thanks!

Michele
  jnathansmommyss.png picture by hecallsmeprincess2

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 4:11pm
My favorite easy meatless meal is "dump a can" soup. Last time I made it I used a can of black beans, a can of chili beans, a can of seasoned chopped tomatoes, and a can of tomato sauce (or you can use diced tomatoes in liquid). Sometimes I add a can of corn too. Dump everything in undrained and simmer until hot (or put it in the crockpot). It can be either Mexican or Italian depending on the flavored tomatoes you use. Top with shredded cheese if you want. Yummy!

Happy Easter,

Hillary

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 7:54am
This might be more than you want to get into, but I thought it sounded it good when I read it one day. You can roast on the grill, but I just put vegetables in olive oil in a 350F oven until they are roasted ~ about 10 minutes.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and cooled in cold water

• 6 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, 1/4 inch slices, roasted or grilled

• 2 Japanese eggplant sliced and roasted

• 4 roasted red bell peppers

• 1 head roasted garlic

• 1 large yellow onion, roasted, sliced

• 2 Tblsp. extra virgin olive oil

• 2 tsp. salt

• 1 tsp. ground black pepper

• 1 can diced tomatoes

• 1 Tblsp. fresh basil, chopped fine

• 1 can tomato sauce, 8 oz.

• 1/2 lb. Mozzarella cheese, grated

• 1/4 lb. Monterey jack cheese, grated

• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

PREPARATION:

• Dip the zucchini in the olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill slices in a skillet until soft. Set aside and let cool. Roast peppers and garlic. Peel and seed peppers and squeeze out garlic cloves and set aside. Saute the sliced onions in the remaining olive oil and set aside.

• In a lasagna pan, assemble the lasagna by layering. Layer of lasagna noodles every 3 layers, layer of zucchini, layer of Mozzarella, layer of eggplant, layer of tomatoes, layer of onions, layer of Monterey Jack cheese, layer of roasted bell pepper and a layer of noodles. Repeat the layers if necessary until ingredients are depleted. Make the last layer roasted zucchini.

• In the tomato sauce and juice from the diced tomatoes, combine the basil, salt, pepper and roasted garlic. Pour this over the layers. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and bake, covered with foil, in a 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.