* ! * ! * ! * Friday Five * ! * ! * ! *

iVillage Member
* ! * ! * ! * Friday Five * ! * ! * ! *
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 7:37am
1. What was the first thing you ever cooked?

2. What's your signature dish?

3. Ever had a cooking disaster? (tasted like crap, didn't work, etc.) Describe.

4. If skill and money were no object, what would make for your dream meal?

5. What are you doing for Easter?

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 8:07am
Daisy, The boards are sure slow lately ~ I haven't been as inspired to type out recipes because it feels like no one will see them! lol Hope you are well and have a joyful weekend of celebration. K

Probably scrambled eggs.

Everyone likes my potato soup, asks for my chocolate chip cookies and my pizza.

I tried to make a pasta pomodoro like I had a restaurant once and it was terrible. The chef gave me the recipe, but I didn't write it down. I don't know what I did, but I think I added something like evaporated milk to it to make it richer and oh wow, with the herb combination I chose it was like eating grass on noodles with milk (and garlic).

I know the question is not quite this, but I have so many favorite dishes there's no way I could answer except to write: Going out to supper every weekend night to a different restaurant. I would say every night, but I would imagine that I'd have to run 20 miles a day to keep up with the calorie load (!) (Might be worth it though ...)

We going to my dad's to color eggs on Saturday and then over to my sister Linda's Sunday for a potluck and easter egg hunt. I usually have something more going on, but I'm not feeling great. I even volunteered for the dreaded veggies and dip platter ~ that's how uncreative I'm feeling. :)

Have a Good Friday, K

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 9:08am
1. What was the first thing you ever cooked? I don't even remember. My mother had me helping cook from the time I was tiny.

2. What's your signature dish? Curried Chicken Salad lately...

3. Ever had a cooking disaster? (tasted like crap, didn't work, etc.) Describe. Uh...this is a bad thing to ask me...especially this time of year...I blew the door off the oven with Martha Stewart's Ham 101 recipe 6 years ago at Easter.

4. If skill and money were no object, what would make for your dream meal? I really am not sure this morning. Probably some delicious Asian vegetarian meal.

5. What are you doing for Easter? Church, egg hunt with the kids, Eggs Benedict, Easter Dinner, relaxing!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 11:38am

Grilled cheese sandwhich.

Vegan Chocolate Cake and everybody loves it.

Too many to list. I can't make bread for some reason or anything in a loaf pan for some reason.

Shrimp pasta.

Not much. Lazing around mostly. I don't go to church and there are no kidlets in my life. Hopefully it will be a relaxing day.

Happy Friday!

Jo:)

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 1:34pm
Hey Tarrant, check out this thread for your orange pie recipe. http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-fdquickeasy/?msg=6132.1

I hope one of these work. If not, give me a holler and I'll go dig somewhere else. I got those results from Yahoo. Sorry it took so long. I'm suffering from a slight case of burnout.

Enjoy!

Jo:)

Jo, Community Leader for
Childfree by Choice on Health http://

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 8:07am

~that was edible; meatballs (a recipe from Home Ec class)

~I get the most requests for a chili con queso dip I make

3. Ever had a cooking disaster? (tasted like crap, didn't work,

etc.) Describe.

~I was an indesribably horrible cook as a teen. My mom MADE

me take home ec in high school. It really did make a cook

out of me. Before this, I was known for such classics as

popping popcorn in corn syrup instead of corn oil and

buttering the bread before I put it in the toaster. I think

I still owe my mom a new toaster and pot.

4. If skill and money were no object, what would make for your

dream meal?

~high dollar steaks with a shrimp appetizer

~usual church routine, then going to the in-laws (an hour drive)

then back here to my parent's for supper

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 3:04pm
1. What was the first thing you ever cooked? I honestly can't remember. Probably something like pasta or kraft dinner.

2. What's your signature dish? My homemade pasta sauce and lasagna.

3. Ever had a cooking disaster? (tasted like crap, didn't work, etc.) Describe. Hmmm I'm really not sure. I remember once attempting to make bread and it just refused to rise. It was very disappointed - not quite a disaster though because I hadn't told anyone that I was making it. lol And then there was the chocolate cake I made once. I didn't really have a whole lot in the house and I didn't have money to run to the store but I found a recipe for chocolate cake that I had all the ingredients for. A friend came over for dinner and I served it and it was AWFUL. It tasted ok but was ssooooo dry it was like eating sand. Yuck. Luckily it was not the first time that friend had been over for dinner, lol.

4. If skill and money were no object, what would make for your dream meal? You mean I have to make it??? It doesn't get made for me?? lol Hmmm, I've never had the guts to try a souffle... but that aside...veal marsala (I'm really not a big veal person...but i really like veal marsala...), asparagus, lobster bisque, a traditional italian salad, portuguese bread, cheese, a nice not to dry white wine - maybe even champagne..., and something truly sinful for dessert....not quite sure what...maybe chocolate mousse with sugared violets???

5. What are you doing for Easter? Meeting my boyfriends parents for the first time ever...I'm scared. lol We're going to the farm for dinner tomorrow. I'm bringing a loaf of homemade bread (although he used up the last of my saranwrap so I may have to go steal some from my neighbour...). They live just over the border in Ontario. And I'll also be meeting the cats, dog, goats and horsies. Might even go for a horsie ride. :) Keep your fingers crossed for me that it goes well...

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 6:13pm

Has to be a noodle.

Dogfood.

Every time i would try something.

If money were no object, I'd hire a chef. OK, if I had to prepare it, something stir fried.

We are having Easter here, our last one as an intact familyy, and I will sneak over to my mom's for a bit to say hello.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 1:31pm
Its way past Friday but I gotta tell my story (see #3)

1. What was the first thing you ever cooked? probably chicken noodle soup

2. What's your signature dish? Ritz topped broccoli casserole

3. Ever had a cooking disaster? What happened when I left home and got my very first apartment was when I had my father and his wife over for dinner I wanted to impress them but I didnt know how to cook so my mom made a beautiful Beef Bourginon which all I had to do was heat up. Dad asked what was for dinner and I couldnt remember the name but I knew it started with a B so I said Boullabaise ! oops ... imagine their surprise when it turned out to be beef and imagine my embarrassment when I later learned that Boullabaise was fish !

5. What are you doing for Easter? We had friends over - I cooked a big brunch : bacon, sausage, country potatoes with peppers, cheesy scrambled eggs, waffles, muffins, croissants, ham, macaroni salad, green salad and cream pie with mimosas :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 7:04pm
wow... you cooked up a feast! And you're cooking disaster story was funny... lol. Glad you wanted to answer... anytime is okay by us!

So... have you mastered the boulliabase? (i know i spelled that wrong.. lol)

*** Daisy ***

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526